Keeping a Saison hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakeskakes

Reaction score
Just wondering if this would work...
I don't have a chamber to ferment in, so I've been doing it in my garage. I keep it wrapped in blankets and it's about 76ish each day outside.

If I got a large tupperware tub from walmart, filled it with water and dropped this in, setting it to 87ish, would that work well?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RQ2E6G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Or would a heated blanket be a more sensible option?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a search for aquarium heater fermentation temp control, there is a load of threads about this, tons of people do it.

The aquarium heater works great. With a lot of water surrounding the fermenter the temp stays really stable.

I use this heater. It goes to 88 degrees and stays within +/- 1/2 degree. I use a big cooler which also helps keep the temp stable. Even in the winter when may basement is usually about 58 degrees, I can ferment 3724 and keep it at 88 easily.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C5TMU4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The aquarium heater works great. With a lot of water surrounding the fermenter the temp stays really stable.

I use this heater. It goes to 88 degrees and stays within +/- 1/2 degree. I use a big cooler which also helps keep the temp stable. Even in the winter when may basement is usually about 58 degrees, I can ferment 3724 and keep it at 88 easily.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C5TMU4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

+1. This is the way to go......:mug:

If your aging for a while dont let it dry out. Just cautious advice and it well work great!

A heating pad under the fermentor or an electric blanket will work too. There are also heaters made for fermentors like the brew belt that will do the job. Lots of options.

I have used a heat blanket and would not recommend It. Go with a brew belt or beast fish tank heater in the Tupperware method. Heat blanket is too sketchy and inconsistent. I dont sleep well knowing I have a heat blanket plugged in and running with 5 gallons of liquid and a bunch of blankets on top of it. Especially if I leave town.

I can also say don't go the heating blanket route. Temperature control is very difficult (unless you buy a really expensive blanket), and most frequently only have 2 or 3 temp settings., then you need to play with additional blankets or putting it at a distance to get the temp you want.

Unless you just want to apply heat and don't particularly care about hitting a specific target temperature. They work great for that.

Sorry to semi-hijack this, but does everyone ferment their saisons hot? I get robust phenolics and esters from 62-72F. Is this unusual?

Sorry to semi-hijack this, but does everyone ferment their saisons hot? I get robust phenolics and esters from 62-72F. Is this unusual?

Are you using 3724, and if so how long before fermentation is finished. 77-80 has been a good temp for me using 565 recently and has taken about 3wks

Depends on the yeast. 3711 is fine in that range, but 3724 needs heat to finish up.

You make a good point. 3711 is my go-to Saison yeast, although I did mix it with 530 on this last batch--it was a GREAT combo & took the beer to 1.000 FG. Flavor profile was 3711 phenol & spice with the hard stone-fruit edge of 530 to boot. Mmmmm.... :rockin:

Latest posts

Back