Belgian strong ale help needed here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprouseusnavy

Reaction score
Hi, new homebrewer and new to the forum and I'm brewing a Belgian golden strong ale, using Belgian strong ale yeast. It's been a week today, and I know it still needs more time in the primary, but its hardly doing anything and is slowly starting to clear up. I had intended on leaving it in for three weeks but I'm scared its starting to go dormant or maybe starting to produce off flavors. Which leads me to my next question, I've seen where some people put some fresh yeast in with primer before bottling, how do I know if I need to do that?? My primary is stays around 68-69F, but spent about the first two days at 76-78, thought this was too warm so I moved it.

A little more info:

All grain/extract/pm?
What size batch?
O.G.?
Brand/age of yeast?
Did you make a starter?
How did you oxygenate?
What is the current gravity reading?

High temps can speed up fermentation (with consequences?).

I did a PM golden strong last summer that started at 1.080, fermented at 65* for 6 weeks. Seemed active for 2weeks.

I used extract and special grains, 5 gallon batch, OG was 1.062, yeast was WL 545, no starter I used to vials, shook the carboy to oxygenate and I'm taking a new reading in the morning.

Back