IPA Too Green?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPADave

Reaction score
I have a timing issue. Brewed a heavy, hoppy all grain IPA to take along on a Northern Canada fishing trip with the boys next week. Got a late start, so by departure day it will be three and a half weeks in the primary and three weeks in the bottle. Og was big...1.069. Final was 1.018. I really want to bring it as a special treat, but my gut tells me it's too soon. I've only been brewing for 18 months, so not much experience to draw from. Input is much appreciated.

IPADave said:
I have a timing issue. Brewed a heavy, hoppy all grain IPA to take along on a Northern Canada fishing trip with the boys next week. Got a late start, so by departure day it will be three and a half weeks in the primary and three weeks in the bottle. Og was big...1.069. Final was 1.018. I really want to bring it as a special treat, but my gut tells me it's too soon. I've only been brewing for 18 months, so not much experience to draw from. Input is much appreciated.

That's plenty of time. Specially for an IPA. Hops cover up. Proper pitch rate and temp control is key. I take all my IPA's grain to glass at 4-6 weeks. Primary 2. Dry hop 1. And condition/carb 1-3. BTW 1069 to 1018 not big at all. 1089 is big. What's the IBU's?

I started drinking my last ipa at 16 days and by 21 days was just how I like it. As soon as it runs clear out of the keg is when it's at its peak Imo. Clear like with hop haze

Back