AMISH WINE ( red beet)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I went to an amish home tonight and the guys wife makes wine...he offered me a taste of 2 different kinds. Peach and red beet....they were both better than anything I make. I asked how she made the beet cause it was VERY good....1 quart of beet juice...2 pounds of sugar ( husband said 3... he may be right as it was pretty sweet)and add water to one gallon....a packet of bread yeast. let it go until it " quits working" then drink it... Here I follow recipes and use sorbates and sulphites and proper yeast and hers kicked the crap outta mine.....

I've had beet wine before , it is awesome and there is so many recipes on the net for it. Plan on making some in fall

Can't imagine ANY wine made with bread yeast would be the least appealing, let alone good. Tried that as a young boy, never again. $1 a pack for yeast, no excuse not to use real wine yeast.

Can't imagine ANY wine made with bread yeast would be the least appealing, let alone good. Tried that as a young boy, never again. $1 a pack for yeast, no excuse not to use real wine yeast.

I would guess the Amish stay under the radar in their winemaking......can't believe the elders approve. Regardless with no internet and a long prospective buggy ride........bread yeast probably about their only alternative.

Also wine has been around quite awhile longer than the commercial yeast producing companies. I imagine a good number of delicious wines have been made with any old yeast available.

I would guess the Amish stay under the radar in their winemaking......can't believe the elders approve. Regardless with no internet and a long prospective buggy ride........bread yeast probably about their only alternative.

Also wine has been around quite awhile longer than the commercial yeast producing companies. I imagine a good number of delicious wines have been made with any old yeast available.

But wine was made with the natural yeasts on the grapes, which have been put into packs as wine yeast.

Bread yeast is just plain nasty...

People who live off the land are generally very good at manipulating nature to thier liking....too be honest...yeast is yeast, some yeast are stronger then others but they all come from the same family...

I've been making a few gallons of beet wine each yeah for a couple years now, and I have to say that the very best stuff I've made was with bread yeast and halfway rotting beets. The worst was the stuff I made last year, I used wine yeast and added a campden tablet the day before pitching. That stuff just came out real beety and 'flabby' as they say. I'm confident that a killer beet wine can be made with wine yeast and the appropriate additives, but the more natural path is not a bad way to go, and if you pitch immediately and your gravity is in the wine range, I don't see any reason to be concerned with infection; even off flavors are uncommon in my experience. The only problem I've had with bread yeast is that it has a strong flavor and flocculates terribly, so you really gotta give it time to settle.

I have made several pretty good wines with bread yeast. Kind of like deer meat if I told you it was beef burger you wouldn't know and enjoy it if I said dead deer meat you probably would not eat much or even any at all. Lot's of stuff is all in a persons head.

Back