Apple jack advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olddogrib

Reaction score
It seemed like a bit of a waste to ditch the "slushie" I dip off the top of my apple-jack-in-process, that I decided to have a taste and discovered there's plenty of octane in the semi-frozen portion. I'm assuming that it's mainly entrapped liquid as the alcohol should have a way lower freezing point. Is there anything i can do to it to get a more efficient separation of only water in the frozen slush?

Not legally...

The amount of alcohol left in the frozen mass is very residual, melt it all down and then taste it...

My best guess is you're scooping up some liquid when you take out the slush. Alcohol will melt any ice it's "trapped" because it lowers the freezing point (like road salt)

Try freezing it solid in a milk jug and slowly melting it upside down to get your jack.

I normally will fill 3 half gallon apple juice jugs, that I used when making the cider. As soon as I fill them, I put them in the freezer over night. Then the next day, I sanitize a pitcher, and put the containers upside down in them for about an hour or so, until the ice is nice and clear in the bottle, and the alcohol drains out. That is Apple Jack.

Normally if I freeze a gallon, I end up with about a 1/2 gallon of Apple Jack.

I like to do it with a nice shaped bottle. I used some iced tea bottle that was a good round size at the bottom, but had a decent sized neck. I'm not sure if a smaller opening or a larger opening is better for % collected, but I am impatient and it seemed to move quicker. I had a gallon that I didn't have any bottles for, I froze and drained it 3 times. I was left with about 16oz of some strong stuff. It was strong, but very smooth and apple-y. It wasn't really anything anybody drank, but everybody tasted some and was impressed at how strong it was while still being very smooth and flavorful.

Back