Illinois Homebrew Alliance (IHA) Call to Action

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FermentEd

Owner, Co-Founder Pollyanna Brewing Company
Reaction score
If you are a homebrewer, or you are a friend with a Homebrewer, please take a moment to read this. The Vote is scheduled for this week, so the sooner you call, the more impact you will have!

SHORT VERSION:
- Visit IllinoisHomebrew.org, locate your Illinois Senator & Illinois Representative on the website, click on their name, locate their Springfield Office phone number and call it.
- Tell the person the phone "My name is YOUR_NAME_HERE, I live in your district, and I am calling to ask you to support House Bill 630." If they ask your address and name, be sure to provide it so they can confirm you residency.
- Tell your friends, family, and neighbors to do make the same phone calls!

LONG VERSION:
The IHA has been working to draft a bill that will change Illinois Law to codify existing practices and expand curtailed rights for Homebrewers.

The bill that was drafted, House Bill #630 (HB630) was negotiated with a group called the Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois (ABDI) over the last few months. The bill, while not perfect, gets us a number of things that we as Homebrewers want. Among them are:

- Homebrew Tastings will be legal (again) at Beer Festivals such as, oh, I don't know, the Midwest Brewers Fest!
- Homebrew will be legal to consume in any location where commercial beer can be consumed. (so long as you don't share it with the public). The park, tailgating, Ravinia, ...a Homebrew Club Meeting... all become officially legal.
- The fermenting of Homebrew becomes legal at any Homebrew Shop willing to allow it.
- Homebrew Shops, if they get the insurance for it, are allowed to brew their own homebrew and serve samples to customers.

To get this bill passed, we need you to take 15 minutes out of your day and make two telephone calls.

- Visit IllinoisHomebrew.org, locate your Illinois Senator & Illinois Representative on the website, click on their name, locate their Springfield Office phone number and call it.
- Tell the person the phone "My name is YOUR_NAME_HERE and I am calling to ask you to support House Bill 630." If they ask your address and name, be sure to provide it so they can confirm you residency.
- Tell your friends, family, and neighbors to do make the same phone calls!

That is it. You have done your part to help ensure the passage of House Bill 630. Thank You and Congratulations, go open a Homebrew in celebration!

http://www.illinoishomebrew.org/

necessary bump... lets make this happen! We need homebrew back in Illinois festivals.

Cheers all.

First reading in the Senate was supposed to happen today. If that goes/went as planned, they could be voting on the bill in the senate by the middle of next week.

Just an update from IllinoisHomebrew.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I received word this afternoon that HB630 passed its Second Reading in the Senate.

This means that the bill is heading for the floor of the Senate for a vote.

You all have done so much, but we need one more push from you; The time to make your voice heard is NOW!

Use the “IL Senate” link (http://www.illinoishomebrew.org/il-senate/), locate your Senator in the Illinois General Assembly, call their Springfield office and tell them “Vote YES on House Bill 630″.

Make sure you only call your Senator and not your Representative; they already passed the bill for us!

When they ask you your name and address, please provide it; this is how they ensure that they are talking to somebody they represent.

Once we get past this, it is on to the Governor’s Desk to be signed!

HB 630, legislation making it legal for homebrewers in Illinois to take part in festivals and competitions, just passed the IL Senate. The bill now goes to the governor's desk to be signed into law.

HB 630, legislation making it legal for homebrewers in Illinois to take part in festivals and competitions, just passed the IL Senate. The bill now goes to the governor's desk to be signed into law.

WOO HOO! TIME TO CELEBRATE!

I don't think the Governor is going to veto it, even if he could.

Now all we need to find out is when the law will take effect.

GREAT NEWS!!

Any idea if this will affect/change the growler filling at places? I know Berkot's used to have growler filling stations but were shut down by the state. Wasn't sure if that was in this bill too or if it was some other goofy IL state law that shut that down.

The governor signed it on July 5th! It's now a law!

Applications for homebrewer special events are now listed on the Illinois Liquor Control Commission website. Anybody know how much "dram shop insurance" costs?

Back