South Dakota Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a beer that was brewed saint Patrick's Day and bottled a week after when the numbers flatlined. The mistakes I made was pitching the yeast a little warm and now realizing bottling to early. I bottled about half that day (ran out if bottles).

I tried one a week ago and the Initial taste was ehh but sour at the end. Today I tried one I let sit in the fridge for two days chilling and the initial taste is very good but a little bitter at the end. Far better than before. It's one I could sit back and drink.

Along with today I gathered enough bottles to bottle the rest. Three weeks after brewing it. I know that these will be bar far the best in a few weeks.

Now back to the beer today, the initial poor was good. Nice head but way carbonated. 5minutes later and still some bubbles rising.

Coopers Draught tastes like a coors or miller lite. The best batch I will do I want something along the lines of a boulevard wheat,blue moon,shock top.

image-1633543709.jpg

Newbrew12 said:
Sounds like its turning out well good color to it! Enjoy!

I certainly will. I hope the bitterness goes away with some more time.

After a trip to the ERa couple weeks ago I found out I have high blood sugar. So now I am looking for maybe 1 or 2 gallon kits instead of the big 5. Certainly don't need all the beer in the house. Any suggestions on smaller batches?

Idk on kits for that size. I would just look up in the recipe database and scale em back to 2/5 or 3/5 depending on what you're looking for. Also use a smaller fermenter to minimize head space. Can't you brew 5g batches and store some? I like to take 12-20 bottles and store em to see how well they age over time.

i think I may just stick with 5 gallon kits and give away the extra's to family and friends. Doctor doesn't know about my new beer making hobby yet. :D

Good thing I am only pre diabetic and with exercise and a healthy diet I should be able to keep my new hobby going!

So, I am flying out to California this week and plan on trying as much different beers as possible to get an idea of what I want for my next batch. I been doing some readings here with Coopers Wheat. So far everything comes back as being a good tasting beer. I think thats the route I want to go next than maybe add a small hint of orange taste with it as well.

Maybe look at SMaSH beers? That's what I'm doing now to really learn each malt and hop and how they play out in a finished product. Also, sounds like you might like the Belgian Witbier kit from Brewer's Best

Maybe look at SMaSH beers? That's what I'm doing now to really learn each malt and hop and how they play out in a finished product. Also, sounds like you might like the Belgian Witbier kit from Brewer's Best

it's been many years since I've brewed a BB kit, but I've had much better luck with kits from Northern Brewer & More Beer. fresher ingredients makes for a better beer.

if any of you east or west river folk plan on coming through SW MN, let me know. I'd like to trade some home brews face to face. and bring some Crow Peak 11th Hour!

Brewers Best American Pale Wheat brewed yesterday. This is my second batch. Big difference from the basic coopers can and dextrose I did the first time. It was Intimidating at first with the grains and everything but came together super easy. Wanted to make sure this beer was much better than just drinkable like my first.

Final product before the yeast.

image-645227425.jpg

Hey guys, SDSU Home brewing club on facebook if you are interested in the Brookings club! This is a bottle and pour from our latest hop experiment.

image-2375814215.jpg

Hey guys. Newb from Mitchell here. I bought a mr beer kit at the mall of America this summer and the first one (american light) turned out pretty good. I have had a nut brown ale in the fermenter for 15 days now. I haven't bought a hydrometer yet for testing, but it is on the list. I just found this forum last night and figured out that there are brew shops in Sioux Falls so this is going to get much better for me and easier. Hopefully I can come over tomorrow afternoon to get some bottles and a capper kit for the nut brown. Look forward to learning and meeting people.

woodbutcherer what types of brewing are you into?

All I've done so far, are a few mr. Beer kits. I bought a brewers best kit with specialty grains a month ago and have been stalling since to get better equipment. If that one goes well, I'm going to try all grain right away. I'm really into stouts right now.
What type do you brew?

ive brewed all my batches from kits, but they all had specialty grains except for one. Right now im shut down building a partially automated(temp control only) all grain system. Im designing the 3 tier mashing/brewing electric over propane table/station right now.

I finally did my specialty grain kit the 1st. Took me 4 hours from start to finish, but it seemed to go pretty smooth for the first time. I love the wort chiller I made, 212* to 60* in 6 minutes. Well worth it.

Hello! I'm from Mitchell SD and I dont really know anybody that homebrews haha. Most of my friends dont drink craft beers.

That's the same situation I'm in here in pierre. Just brew and enjoy it yourself!

Hey guys check out the communities on FB. Not sure of anything churning in Mitchell or Pierre, but we have a club in Brookings called BrewKings. The club in Rapid City is Ale Riders. There is a club in Watertown. There are a couple in SF one is called Big Sioux Brew Society, the other is the Sioux Falls Beer Club. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389280259.482145.jpg. Cheers

drawdy10 thanks for the information! I'll send a request to join those group.

woodbutcherer I have a northern brewer 10 gallon all grain kit and a 20 gallon boil kettle. Do you live in the Mitchell area? That would be pretty cool to get a brewing community going in Mitchell!

I checked out Ale Riders over a decade ago. they were a bunch of arrogant jerks to me because the beer I brought wasn't "classic style". I heard there's a bunch of great folks in there now though. might be worth checking out if ever in the Rapid City area.

what i need right now is a beer expert around huron SD who i can take a bottle of beer and my brew notes to and tell me whats wrong with it. My last batch has been bottle conditioning for almost a month now and it has a slight rotten/foul taste to it. and it tasted damn good on bottle day. It was the first time i used a liquid yeast, which came with the kit(Austin Alaskan Amber Clone)

Hey all,

Repping Sioux Falls here, did my first two solo brews on 11/23 and 11/28.

I like beer, nice to meet you all.

Cheers.

I'll be moving to Rapid City (Ellsworth AFB) in April and looking forward to meeting up with fellow brewers. I've been brewing for three years here in Okinawa Japan. Any advice? Local home-brew supply shops? Active clubs/groups?

Hey there... Ale Riders Homebrew Club (google it) is in Rapid and I know there is a shop in Black Hawk.

I'll be moving to Rapid City (Ellsworth AFB) in April and looking forward to meeting up with fellow brewers. I've been brewing for three years here in Okinawa Japan. Any advice? Local home-brew supply shops? Active clubs/groups?

stay away from The Fire House in downtown Rapid City. but Crow Peak in Spearfish is really good. I've only had a few from Sick-N-Twisted Brewery, but they were pretty good. that's in Custer or Hill City. I can't remember which. Smith's Liquors and Canyon Lake Liquors has a pretty decent selection for the area. we go out to the Black Hills every July if you'd like to trade home brews. in July.

stay away from The Fire House in downtown Rapid City. but Crow Peak in Spearfish is really good. I've only had a few from Sick-N-Twisted Brewery, but they were pretty good. that's in Custer or Hill City. I can't remember which. Smith's Liquors and Canyon Lake Liquors has a pretty decent selection for the area. we go out to the Black Hills every July if you'd like to trade home brews. in July.

Let me know when you go next time and I'll meet you at the Love's Travel stop off I-90, you can load some of your excess homebrews into my truck and hit the road. Hell, I'll load 'em myself.

Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

There is a shop in Blackhawk. Staples&Spice in downtown Rapid has some supplies (natural foods health store).

Best selection on equipment and ingredients is Hardware Hank in Baken Park in Rapid City. I think Ale Riders is a club in Rapid.

I live in Spearfish so most kits come from Austin Homebrew or fill up my growlers at Crow Peak.

Back