This recipe have too little diastatic power?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walking_Target

Reaction score
Here's the grain bill for a Stout I want to do tomorrow

#3 2-Row
#2.5 Abbey Malt
#2 Pale Chocolate Malt
#1 Crystal 60L
8oz Roasted Barley
8oz Flaked Oats
8oz Flaked Barley
4oz Black Malt

Preboil volume aprx 7.5g . Final Volume 5.5g

This is supposed to be a sweet stout with a 1lb lactose addition, but I'm looking at this bill, and even with a 50*L contribution from the abbey malt, i'm not seeing how this will convert enough of the starch to make for something other than a dextrin party.

Thinking of cutting the abbey malt back to 1.5lbs and making up the difference with 2 row. Thoughts?

I know regular chocolate malt is only good for a pound or so, but pale chocolate is good for a bit more i think?

Here's the grain bill for a Stout I want to do tomorrow

#3 2-Row
#2.5 Abbey Malt
#2 Pale Chocolate Malt
#1 Crystal 60L
8oz Roasted Barley
8oz Flaked Oats
8oz Flaked Barley
4oz Black Malt

Preboil volume aprx 7.5g . Final Volume 5.5g

This is supposed to be a sweet stout with a 1lb lactose addition, but I'm looking at this bill, and even with a 50*L contribution from the abbey malt, i'm not seeing how this will convert enough of the starch to make for something other than a dextrin party.

Thinking of cutting the abbey malt back to 1.5lbs and making up the difference with 2 row. Thoughts?

I'd be less concerned with conversion than I would be with over 30% specialty/non-fermentable grains. With the chocolate, crystal and black malts you have ~32% of the grist bill. Sorry but that just seems nuts. If Abbey malt has at least some enzyme content, if not self-conversion capability, then the pale malt should have enough diastatic content to take care of the pound of flaked along with what starches are in the Abbey.

Talked this one through with my LHBS guy. Just gonna customize this one an use 5-6lbs of 2 row and save the abbey malt for an IPA

Back