Need suggestion for yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fahim

Reaction score
hey guys,

i am new to this forum. i have been experimenting with my beer for almost 1 year now. i dont have any wine or beer yeast at where live. i am not a pro, its just my hobby to brew my own beer.

here is the point,
i want to know which yeast will be good for beer,wine and ale at the same time.?

can i grow/make yeast from a packet of yeast at home?

and how good will be this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O7T2I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

i have been experimenting with bakers yeast and grain and fruits, but some time it tastes horrable x_x

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're looking for a yeast that will ferment both beer and wine with both products tasting good? I'm more of a beer guy than a wine guy, so I'll focus on beer, but in general, you'll get the best results using a beer yeast for beer and a wine yeast for wine.

If there's no decent beer yeast in your area, I would consider ordering from an online retailer that will ship to you (or relocating :)). Liquid yeast gives you more variety, but there are some decent dry brewer's yeast like that may suit your needs better. Dry yeast is usually cheaper and is easier to store and keep fresh than liquid yeast. The beer yeast will certainly ferment the sugars in grapes, but I don't know if you'll get a decent tasting wine.

May I ask where you live that it's difficult to get ingredients?

i want to know which yeast will be good for beer,wine and ale at the same time.?
FYI, ale is a type of beer. there are 2 big families of beer: lagers and ales. so saying "beer and ale" is a bit redundant, sort of like saying "fruits and apples".

i don't think there is any yeast that is good for making both beer and wine. yeast have been bred to eat specific kinds of sugars, and beer & wine have different kinds of sugars. wine yeast can't digest maltose so it will leave a beer too sweet. beer yeast can consume most sugars in wine, but few of them can tolerate the alcohol level of wine - again, leaving it sickeningly sweet. you might be able to use a high-gravity beer yeast like WLP099... but really, i would get 2 different yeasts. it will be simpler for you. get the right ingredients for what you're trying to accomplish - making a good beverage. perhaps start by making just one of the two drinks? beers are typically ready faster than wine (but that isn't always the case)

can i grow/make yeast from a packet of yeast at home?
yes you can. do a search here for "yeast starter". that's how you grow your yeast population. make a big starter, pitch the required amount in your brew, and keep a little to grow the next time. store in the fridge. sanitation is very important to make sure you have only yeast in there and no unwanted bacteria.

do not buy this yeast. look in the "Product Description" section: "Usually not used for wines or beers."

i would recommend that you get some Fermentis US-05. it's a standard beer yeast, good for a lot of styles of ale.

i have been experimenting with bakers yeast and grain and fruits, but some time it tastes horrable x_x
yes, baker's yeast isn't very good for making beer. you will have much more success with brewer's yeast.

are you able to control the temperature of your fermentation? bangladesh is hot, for the most part, so you'll probably need to keep your fermentation vessel cooled to 18-21*C.

Last edited by a moderator:
@sweetcell thanks for the info on beer and ale the only thing i knew was beer had a low abv and ale a bit high abv then beer.

i found some small packs at amazon, so if i buy few packs of each type (wine yeast, beer yeast, brewers yeast) will i be simply able to grow its population and store it for further use ?

can you give me some good yeast names which can be brought from amazon. but not to expensive, or too large pack. i have a salary of 25k BDT (our currency) and it will cost me 110 BDT per usd on amazon including shipping. also and additional 800 BDT per pound wight for relocating. hope you understand.

and yes i control the room temp. i have a AC but i will not able to run it for 24hr each day, coz we have power problems. that is why i am looking for a simple recipe with 3-7 common items that can be found anywhere, and the recipe must mature within 60-90 days. so i can make enough for a year at spring time when temp is 18-20 dgr

i found some small packs at amazon, so if i buy few packs of each type (wine yeast, beer yeast, brewers yeast) will i be simply able to grow its population and store it for further use ?
beer yeast and brewer's yeast are synonymous. and yes, you can grow any kind of yeast. typically you don't want to grow it forever, typically after about 8 generations the yeast has mutated and should be replaced.

however, you can re-use yeast from previous batches of beer. one way of looking at a batch of beer is that it is a giant yeast starter! there are more cells in the finished batch's yeast cake than you need for your next batch, so from one batch of beer you can easily end up with enough yeast for 3 or 4 additional batches. and each of those will have enough for 3 or 4 batches, etc etc etc. look up "yeast washing" - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/ is a good place to start. again, you don't want to use it forever - at some point you should retire the yeast.

yeast loses viability over time, even in the fridge. play with the dates in http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html to see the effect of storage on yeast viability. you can't keep yeast forever.

can you give me some good yeast names which can be brought from amazon. but not to expensive, or too large pack.
fermentis US-05 is a good one for american-style ales. nottingham and US-04 are good british-style yeasts, but be warned that they need to be fermented a bit cooler than US-05. if you want to ferment warm, i would consider the new Belle Saison yeast - it makes belgian-style saison ales.

and yes i control the room temp. i have a AC but i will not able to run it for 24hr each day, coz we have power problems. that is why i am looking for a simple recipe with 3-7 common items that can be found anywhere, and the recipe must mature within 60-90 days. so i can make enough for a year at spring time when temp is 18-20 dgr
there are many recipes that are ready after 6 weeks. a technique for controlling fermentation temps is called a "swamp cooler" - putting your fermentor in a tub, fill it partially with water, then use ice to cool the water (which in turn cools the fermenter). again, search this forum :mug:

Latest posts

Back