1st attempt at Muscadine Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
This is my 1st attempt at wine making. I started these two batches of muscadine wine in Sept 2012. I am very pleased how they both turned out. The first batch was made with "Southland" purple muscadines and the second batch was made with bronze "Darlene" muscadines. Each batch made me exactly 8 bottles a piece! I would like to thank "Packrat" for helping me through the process. Couldn't have done it without him...thanks!

Looks awesome! Muscadine is by far my favorite and a yearly tradition with myself and my family. Glad to see your good results.

can you link the recipe?

Sure, here you go. I used a 5 gallon purified water jug.

1. Crush 4 gallons of Muscadines.

2. Dissolve 3 pounds of sugar in just enough water to make it pourable.

3. Add crushed Muscadines and sugar mixture to jug. Add just enough water to cover the grapes. Wont be a whole lot. Dont fill more than 2/3 full as it will rise a good bit. Dont want it to overflow!

4.Stir mixture together.

5. Put airlock or thick balloon with pin hole in it over the jug opening.

6. After 2 weeks strain out hulls and seeds and discard.

7. Add 2 more pounds of sugar and stir in.

8. Siphon off wine every 2 weeks and discard any sediment.

Make sure all equipment is sterile and wine is stored in a constant room temperature area shielded from light. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask.

Do you put the yeast in immediately or do you wait a day or 2 like some other wines? And which yeast do you use?

Do you put the yeast in immediately or do you wait a day or 2 like some other wines? And which yeast do you use?

I dont put any yeast in. I use the natural yeast from the grapes. I used muscadines, sugar, water to make this wine. That is it.

Wow, no yeast? Is it a sweet wine? I'm looking for a sweet country style muscadine wine recipe and would really like to keep from adding any sulfites or anything else. I didn't realize you could do it without actually adding yeast. I knew there would be natural yeast, but didn't know it would be consistent enough to not add more to it. Thanks

Back