Designing a Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninjabeer

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the beer brewing world but just made my first cream ale and it was awesome and am about to make a honey wheat beer which i am very excited about. I'm probably jumping the gun a little bit but i really cant wait to start experimenting with recipes and truly making my own beer. My plan right now is to still make beer from recipes i find until i get more comfortable but if anyone has any suggestions on how to design my own recipe or things i should keep in mind it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I generally start from a known recipe. Northern Brewer lists the ingredients of their kits online. I then use a recipe builder and make some substitutions based on what I have on hand or what I think I would like to achieve. I am also still learning recipe making so I don't do anything too extravagant.

I searched for malt, hop and yeast substitute guides to help with making changes then I bookmarked the pages (and printed some).

I use Beersmith 2 for making my recipes. It takes a bit of learning and fine tuning but I am now hitting my numbers fairly consistently.

Enjoy the process, it is very satisfying to make your own recipe and have it turn out great. My best was one that I made form leftovers. A brown ale.

"Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zanisheif and "Designing Great recipes" by Ray Daniels are two books I highly recommend for learning how to create recipes.

Also "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher is a fun read for using not so common ingredients.

Back