Effect of 45-60 minute fly sparge with no mashout on flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tupperwolf

Reaction score
So, I never considered the simple idea of heating up my first runnings in the brew kettle while fly sparging to get them up over 170*. I've done two batches that I've yet to sample (one's in primary, one conditioning in bottles) that I did a slow fly sparge with no mashout. I've read that a mashout usually isn't required but helps with consistency.

I understand that during the time I was sparging the enzymes would continue conversion, and I know that will change the malt profile of the finished beer, but I have been searching around and have yet to find a concise answer of what will happen in this situation. Less flavorful? More attenuated? More dry? Sweeter or not as sweet? What's the actual effect on the final product? Is it essentially the same as if I just did a 2-hour mash? Thanks! :mug:

I always try to do a mash out temp increases depending on the recipe. at about 15 min left in my Mash process ( Oh i run a HERMS system) i start heating up my HLT to about 165-170deg, it takes about 15 min to get my mash up to 165+/-deg depending on grain bill. This enables the Wort to get any last remaining sugar in the grains.

as for effect, cant say i have noticed anything

I just brewed two very similar beers(grain bill wise that is) with the same yeast, mash temp, and fermentation temps. The first brew I fly sparged without a mash out and the second brew I batch sparged without a mash out. The fly sparged batch went two points lower 1.011 vs 1.013. That said I think I may fly sparge when a dryer fg is desired and batch sparge when I'm looking for more malt character.

It seems to me that .002 difference could be due to any number of reasons, even just the malting of the base grain.

Back