Yeast Banking Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm gearing up to do some yeast exploration this summer. I want to start learning how to culture wild yeasts, make a yeast bank, test yeast viability etc.

Towards these ends, I have two simple question I hope some of the experts here can help me out with:

1: Can i buy a vial of yeast and simply follow the steps of making a frozen yeast bank? Thus skipping the harvesting and rinsing steps? I was reading the article on the main page talking about doing it from a starter, but why even go that far?

2: Can you bank wild yeasts, like brett or lacto?

Hey All,

I'm gearing up to do some yeast exploration this summer. I want to start learning how to culture wild yeasts, make a yeast bank, test yeast viability etc.

Towards these ends, I have two simple question I hope some of the experts here can help me out with:

1: Can i buy a vial of yeast and simply follow the steps of making a frozen yeast bank? Thus skipping the harvesting and rinsing steps? I was reading the article on the main page talking about doing it from a starter, but why even go that far?

2: Can you bank wild yeasts, like brett or lacto?

Yes to both of your questions. I dont normally freeze yeast though, I do slants but it is basically the same thing. I have been ranching for 10+ years and the only things I dont bank are blends. Like Roeselare and WLP Flemish Blend.

:rockin:

Yeah I love the idea of brewing with locally cultured yeast. A guy I meet like 3 months ago said he was going to do that this year, but haven't heard back from him.

Higher viability. I would make a starter to make sure I am getting healthy yeast if the production date of the yeast was relatively olderish.

That makes sense if you are dealing with an expired or nearly expired yeast culture sure.

When I buy a new strain for a batch, I make a starter bigger than I need then I make 4 vials to freeze. I use 5ml yeast, 5ml glycerin and 10ml sterile water. I keep them in my frost free freezer surrounded by ice packs to keep the defrost cycle from thawing them. I have about 9 varieties and have used some of the vials at more than 8 months old. It takes a week of stepping up so I also keep some dry yeast on hand for when I don't plan ahead. If I made 4 new vials each time for 4 generations I could brew 256 times from the original purchase.

I would imagine you could do the same with wild yeasts but make sure you get something that will give a good flavor before saving some.

I don't know about Brett or Lacto since unless I am mistaken they are bacteria. I have not seen anything about freezing them, though I have never looked it up, or used them.

Awesome! I can do slants, plates or freezing. What are the pros/cons of those?

Here is a link to a presentation I did for my Homebrew club last year. It covers pretty much all aspects of yeast harvesting/ranching and many of the different methods you can use.

http://www.carolinabrewmasters.com/sites/default/files/Yeast_Culturing_101.pdf

It does cover some of the pros/cons of the different methods as well. Let me suggest if you are truly interested in this that you pick up "Yeast The Practical Guide To Beer Fermentation" by Chris White (White Labs) and Jamil Zainasheff (Mr Malty/Heretic Brewing)

Latest posts

Back