How safe is hose water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
andy6026 said:
granted that nobody probably wants to add more potential problems to the heap, especially when they're preventable for a few bucks. But just incase anybody's unsure:

They are actually preventable for free. As I said earlier, disconnect the hose and fill from the spigot. Zero dollars spent, perfectly safe.

Well, all these replies have been duly noted! At present, shifting water in small quantities to the kettle isn't THAT bad. My queries are also for the future - I'm going to erect a brew shed, and running back and forth will be a pain. Nice to know now what piping I need to be going for!

CHEERS :fro:

I brewed with water from a new garden hose once. It was the worst beer I have ever had. It tasted like a rubber hose. I had to dump an entire batch of rye IPA that cast me like $40 to brew. I would not recommend it. I would even go so far as to rinse thoroughly any potable water hose that was used.

Every time I look at this thread an add for the expanding pocket hose comes up. Maybe it is a sign.:)

forstmeister said:
I brewed with water from a new garden hose once. It was the worst beer I have ever had. It tasted like a rubber hose. I had to dump an entire batch of rye IPA that cast me like $40 to brew. I would not recommend it. I would even go so far as to rinse thoroughly any potable water hose that was used.

Must've been cause it was new. I do it all the time and have a friend who used to be an AHA judge who says my beers are competition worthy. I'm sure all brands of hose are not created equal...

Done it and it was the only beer I ever dumped. It tasted the way the inside of the hose smelled.

JoeyChopps said:
Or just buy a filter housing and filter at lowes and put garden hose fittings on it cost me about 40 bucks to build.

That looks like a good setup, i want to do something like that. Couple of questions...

Each filter lasts more than one brew day right? So how do you stop the filter growing bacteria and mold when it is sitting around not in use. Since it will be wet is that a problem?

And then same thing with the pvc piping. Are micro-organisms a problem?

Thanks!

yusupov said:
That looks like a good setup, i want to do something like that. Couple of questions...

Each filter lasts more than one brew day right? So how do you stop the filter growing bacteria and mold when it is sitting around not in use. Since it will be wet is that a problem?

And then same thing with the pvc piping. Are micro-organisms a problem?

Thanks!

Yeah the filter will probably last the rest of your life. I don't notice any physical signs of mold or bacteria growing. I'm sure there is some. At the end of brew day I break everything down and allow it to air dry. As far as all the filter being unsafe because of germs I'm not concerned the whole deal is going to get boiled for at least an hour so no worries. The water filter has been one of top five best thing I've done to improve my beer. Cheers.

I made coffee at work once with hose water. I was told, very specifically, that should never happen again. After I tasted it, I agreed. So, using that as my guide, I'll never feel comfortable using a hose for brewing. My .02.

How about putting an rv water filter at the end of a drinking safe rv hose?

This is what I do. Considering all the money and effort I put into building my whole system, complaining about spending less than $100 on a few RV hoses and a sediment/GAC/KDF filter seems silly since the water makes up 90%+ of the finished product.

Ok, so here's an additional question about hoses and fittings. Most of the worm clamp style fittings to create hoses from clear tubing all say that they brass that contains lead. Has anyone found a garden hose fitting that does not contain brass with lead in it? I'd like to build an inline filter attachment from my slop sink ( it has a spout on it that is already threaded).

pretty sure you can get stainless steel worm clamps, but it would never come in contact with the water flowing through the line so i dont think it would matter.

BlueFalcon said:
pretty sure you can get stainless steel worm clamps, but it would never come in contact with the water flowing through the line so i dont think it would matter.

Sorry, poor explanation. Not just the worm clamp, but the actual repair connection to form a Male or female end to the hose. I've not found a stainless steel end yet.

Sorry, poor explanation. Not just the worm clamp, but the actual repair connection to form a Male or female end to the hose. I've not found a stainless steel end yet.

Not sure if it helps for your setup but you can get all plastic connectors.

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Sooooo. Yes! But only in Comunistfornia. :D

The above is implyed as a joke......

Hahaha this was too funny. Being from Cali.... currently stationed In Texas I've seen so many products you can buy that only have that warning..... hmmmm maybe Feinstein knows something us from Cali don't?? :D

Back