10 single hop mini batches, need advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorterGlenn

Reaction score
So I recently got a chest freezer I am turning it into a temperature regulated fermenter, with the help of an STC-1000. Originally, I wanted to do a side by side beer, 2.5 gallons in the freezer, and 2.5 gallons just in the basement, to see what the difference in taste was. Then I decided from everything I read on HBT, and getting min/max temp readings in my basement of ~70* to ~85* throughout the day, I decided this is unnecessary, the beer will definitely taste better in the temp controlled freezer. And even if it doesn’t, I bought a freezer so by golly I’m gonna use it! Also now that I can get ideal fermentation temperatures, why have one more 2.5 gallon batch that is not as good as it could be?

So then I decided to scratch the fermenting in and out of the freezer idea, and just go with temperatures recommend by the yeast. So I’m moving on to the next brewing experiment on my list, which is to brew a 5 gallon batch, and split it up into 10 ½ gallon growlers as fermentors. I will be making a standard pale ale/IPA recipe, to single out the different taste of specific hops and yeast.

I figure if I will have 5 different kinds of hops (would these be called ‘hop variants’ ‘hop strains’ or what?) and two different kinds of yeast. This should get me ten different beers, basically creating two separate experiments (one with each yeast type, while still being able to compare the yeast differences with the same hops) out of one 5 gallon batch.

Yeast A B
Hops
1 .5 gal .5 gal
2 .5 gal .5 gal
3 .5 gal .5 gal
4 .5 gal .5 gal
5 .5 gal .5 gal
(this table looked a million times better in excel)

Below I have listed the recipe I will be using for this experiment:
Standard Pale Ale/IPA recipe:
11.25# light LME – (this seems like a lot any suggestions/advice?)
¾# crystal 20 steep for 30 min
Hop additions 1oz @ 60min 20min 10min 5min and 7 day dry hop
So I will have 1oz of each different type of hops and split this up 5 ways (.2 oz for each addition)
Yeast – American Ale

The procedure I am planning on using for this is:
1.) 2 days before I start this procedure I am going to make two yeast starters, one with each yeast strain being used
2.) Steep the crystal 20 in 5-6 gallons of water (in my 8 gallon brew pot) for 30 minutes
3.) Then measure this out into five 1 gallon+ containers (theoretically I won’t need to be concerned about these sitting around for too long, and getting contaminated, since they haven’t boiled yet)
4.) One at a time I will make five 1 gallon batches of beer , each with one of the different hops I plan on using for this experiment
5.) Once the wort is cooled put ½ gallon in one growler with yeast A and the other ½ gallon in the other growler with yeast B
6.) Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all the hops are used.

So my questions are:
1.) To make less steps in this process once the batch is split up into 5 mini batches, can I add the LME before splitting the wort into five 1 gallon ‘batches’?
a. If so when should I add the LME?
b. Should I boil the LME before splitting up the mini batches? (it’s going to be boiled for an hour when the hops are added in the mini batches)
c. Or should I just add it when I steep, to heat it up, and get it even mixed in, so all five 1 gallon batches have an even amount of LME?

2.) I will have to do less than 5 gallons of beer for starters, since I will have 10 ½ gallon growlers and they will all need head space in them during the fermentation process?
a.) How much head space will be required, this beer shouldn’t be too heavy and have that active of a fermentation process should it?
b.) Should I start with 6 gallons of water, or just start with 5 gallons, and then the boil off will be the ‘less’ for the head space in the growlers?

3.) I am used to putting my hops in a little cheese cloth bag, however this is going to require 25+ bags, but if I go no bags, how the heck do I get the hops out of the wort/beer when moving from brew pot to primary to secondary to bottling bucket to bottles?

4.) Does anyone have any thoughts on bags vs. no bags? (how much extra work will it be to strain the hop pellets out of the beer, this experiment already seems like enough work)

5.) I generally go from primary to secondary to bottling bucket to bottles, if I keep that same strategy for this experiment I will have to clean primary growlers, and re-sanitize them, to use as another secondary. (I only have 10 growlers…) Would anyone recommend skipping a secondary fermenter for this, and why? (I am thinking a quick rinse and scrub with a brush, then a dunk in StarSan should not add that much additional work, especially since this won’t be happening on my brewing day)
a.) If you do recommend skipping a secondary how does that affect your answer about the hops in little bags?
b.) If you suggest the secondary, would you then skip the bags for the yeast? (I really want to skip the bags, because I don’t want to pay for them, but I know they will all only add up to ~$5)

6.) I have 3 cooking pots that will be able to do the mini batches once the 5 gallons is split up, should I do all 3 at a time (all I should be doing during this phase is adding hops, and maybe some premeasured LME at the appropriate times) but then what about cooling them?

7.) I have one wort chiller but assume just an ice bath for a 1 gallon batch shouldn’t take too long to cool down? (I think my sink will be large enough to hold 3 larger cooking pots in an ice bath, but if not the bath tub definitely will be)

8.) Or should I do all these 1 at a time, and just suck up the fact that it will take 5 hours this way, so I won’t mess something up if there is too much going on and I get flustered?

9.) What different types of hops does anyone suggest I use? Keep in mind that there is only going to be one hop type per mini batch of beer, so combination suggestions won’t really help.

10.) I am going to use American Ale yeast as one of my yeast strains, what do you suggest for the second? Keep in mind that I only have 1 temperature controlled fermentor, so the ideal fermentation temperature should be similar to the American Ale yeast.

11.) What else am I not considering? Any an all questions comments concerns are appreciated :D

I tink this idea is awesome!:rockin:

let me know if you need help "sampling" the differences:mug::tank:

After much deliberation I have decided the 5 hops to use:

Columbus
Centennial
Cascade
Amarillo
Simcoe

Still not sure on the other yeast to use, I'm going to my local brew shop tomorrow and will find out what will be a good match, since these brews will all be in the same fermenting temperature.

If you're goal is to evaluate the hop/yeast combos, 11.25# of LME seems like a lot. I might aim for a lower OG. You'll probably be around the 1.080 mark on the OG. Which might take awhile to condition and mellow out the alcohol kick.

I would say 6#. With 5 gallons (give or take), if you finish out at 1.010 you'll have a beer at about 5.6% abv. You can turn them around much quicker and they'll taste better for it.

And if it were my hops, I'd try something different. The 3 C's you have on your list are all wonderful hops, but are also very well known and widely available in a number of craft beers. Try something fun! Go get some Galaxy, Mosaic, Riwaka, or Belma. Something you don't get everyday!

Good luck with the experiment, sounds like it will be fun.

I have considered more specialty/rare hops, however although I have certianly had all the three C's mentioned above I am not really sure what flavors any of them have. I believe that I will do this experiment several times with many different hops and yeast.

I did it!!!

So I steeped the 3/4# cyrstal 20 in 1.5 gallons of water, (150*F) then put water in my big 8 gallon boil pot and brought the water level up to 5.5 gallons and added the LME. I had 5.5 gallons to account for the boil off, however when I measured out my 5 mini batches of beer I only measured them at 1 gallon, so my .5 gallon for boil off just sat in my ale pale (thats were I was keeping the 'master wort') and never even saw a boil, I threw it away at the end of the day. :drunk:

So I started to boil my 1 gallon batches and staggered them so when the 1st one was half way done I started the next and so on. I realized after my first 1 gallon batch that boiling it for an hour reduces it to less than 1/2 a gallon! :confused:

So instead of having 10 growlers fermenting and doing half withCcalifornia ale yeast and the other half with London ESB yeast they were all done with California yeast. I was SHOCKED that boiling 1 gallon of water for an hour would turn it into 1/2 a gallon, when I boil 5 gallons it doenst evaporate into 2.5 gallons? Can someone explain why this happens better than, 'it just does'?

I decided not to use a million hop bags so seems to be a bunch of sludge in my fermenters now, I think I will put them in secondaries in 2 weeks just to help get that stuff out before I bottle them.

In case anyone was curious there was obviously prep and clean up time, but I started steeping grains at 11:35am and took my last batch off the burner at 4:41pm. I took a few pictures that I wanted to ask what was going on with my wort, but it wont let me post them? What do I have to do to post pictures?

The boil off rate is mostly a factor of the heat you are putting into the wort (aka how vigorous the boil is) and the headspace in the pot. The wider the pot is the more % will boil off. Since the area of your 8 gallon pot isn't too much bigger than the area of all your smaller pots you boiled off a higher % of water thus leaving you with < half a gallon from a 1 gallon start.

A tip when you rack would be to use a hop bag over the end of your siphon tube to help filter out sludge. Be sure to sterilize the bag and a zip tie to hold it on to the siphon.

Back