Wort Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel1980

Reaction score
The only piece of equipment I'm missing for my all grain setup is a chiller. Between new tires and my children's birthdays I'm not going to have the money for one soon. I have my grain, yeast, hops, etc and I'm wanting to brew this weekend. Is it possible to make this happen without a chiller?

I have plenty of room into chest freezer but wasnt sure of the effects of chilling this way.

In my opinion, you want to bring down the wort to a pitchable temperature as quickly and efficiently as possible. A wort chiller would be a good investment for your setup but it certainly isn't required. Get a large Tupperware container, fill it with ice and/or cold water and there you go.

With my extract batches the 2 gal of water I added to the wort usually brought the temps down pretty close to where I needed them. The groundwater temps were in the low 60's at the time.

I plan on making the chiller but I'm trying to balance the thin line between buying the complete setup and keeping my wife off my back about my hobby. She's already not happy about losing her closet in the kitchen to my equipment and boxes of bottles. It doesn't help that she doesn't like beer.

Yes I get that I took over under the stairs at my house, I think my wife isn't willing to give up any more storage, we don't have slot to start with.

wort chillers are nice not required. i have brewed dozens of successful batches cooling the kettle in the tub or sink. i even left one ill timed batch overnight before pitching. never had an issue.

Right on. Looks like this guy will be brewing a Belgium this weekend. Thanks fellas.

Daniel1980 said:
Right on. Looks like this guy will be brewing a Belgium this weekend. Thanks fellas.
Brewed four batches That I left in my basement overnight to chill. I pitched the next day and all turned out well - not ideal but worked.

I bought a 25ft 3/8" copper coil at Home Depot and used some old garden hose from the garage. $24.00 chiller.

Isn't 3/8" a little small? I was pricing 1/2" at close to $45. How well does the 3/8" work for you? Are you just using tap water?

I just built the same counter flow chiller only 20' 3/8 copper is all Home Depot had. I splurged and bought a new rubber hose. The thing works like a champ. Boiling wort in 70* out the other end. Using just tape water no ice. I found the plans right here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_make_a_Counter_Flow_Chiller I think I have like $40.00. Spent almost that much making my 1/2" immersion chiller that doesn't work very well. I have used the chiller twice now and it is nice drain the pot pitch the yeast.
If you build one you won't be sorry.

Here is a picture of all the parts, and then the finished chiller.

0323031620.jpg

0324031222.jpg

you did the right thing....i have left 2 batches out over night due to malfunctioning chill wizards and everything turned out well....i FINALLY got it out of my head that anything that goes wrong will ruin my beer

I'm definitely going to be building a chiller, just not this weekend. I went over budget at the HBS last weekend. Can't seem to leave there without buying something I didn't plan to buy.
I may go with the 3/8" now. I was thinking bigger meant better (in most cases lol) but the 3/8" is definitely cheaper per foot.

Let's see here; you're wife doesn't like beer and you're taking up kitchen space. I don't think you're problem is the chiller here. You better get out in the garage before she puts the cabosh on this whole venture!

Lol. Trust me, if I had a garage, or shop I would be there. I do the actual brewing in the carport but the kitchen closet is the only indoor place to store it all.

Latest posts

Back