is attenuation 75% considered low or high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have just come across the information that attenuation is the sugar transforming ability of the yeast, but the % of sugar consumption during the fermentation varies from 65-85%.

I have safale s0-4 and it has 75% attenuation. Is that low or high?

Thanks

Attenuation also depends on the yeast properties and the conditions they are in.
75% attenuation is a fairly good number to hit.

In terms of published numbers, 75% is lightly higher than average, I think. So, think typical attenuation. Actual attenuation you get from any given beer has more to do with wort composition than anything else, though there are other factors.

It also depends on your beer, remember it's "apparent attenuation" which is really just a guideline. 75% attenuation of a beer that's 1.030 isn't as impressive as 75% attenuation of a beer that's 1.100

It also depends on your beer, remember it's "apparent attenuation" which is really just a guideline. 75% attenuation of a beer that's 1.030 isn't as impressive as 75% attenuation of a beer that's 1.100

Is there a way to calculate? I mean....the OG and the AG are given...so there must be a way to calculate attenuation.

The AG? What is it you want to calculate, exactly? Apparent attenuation is easy to calculate, but getting real attenuation isn't difficult, either. Are you asking about before or after readings are taken (as a way to predict attenuation numbers)?

Back