Carbonating moscato

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiewinemaker

Reaction score
Hey all!

I recently purchased a WE California Moscaro kit. I just transferred to the secondary fermenter(glass carboy). I want to carbonate it. I found some pretty good instructions for carbonating wine made from a kit online but it is kind of vague in one area. It says make wine following kit instructions up to clearing day and to not add the red it blue packages. This I understand. However the kit tells me I need to stir the sediment back up driving off CO2 or it will prevent clearing. The instructions say nothing about this. Should I still so this as the instructions in the kit say? I also have an f-pack. Would it be ok to add that at this time? I am going to be adding sugar when I bottle and eventually degorging the yeast out. I just want to make sure I don't mess up the entire 6 gallons..

Thanks!

If you find the instructions for New Millineum kit it should be the equivalent because you can finish still or sparkling. Just be sure to NOT add the sorbate packet. Keep us posted.

I did find instructions! However, it doesnt say anything about the F-Pack. Do you think it would still be ok to add the f-pack from my kit?

Thanks

The f-pac is meant to add that final layer of flavor, usually after stabilizing. Just be aware it will continue to ferment. I believe this f-pac is larger compared to their other ones. Do you plan to use it as the priming sugar? Or is a dry sparkling moscato okay?

I was planning on putting the f-pack in and then following the carbonating steps adding additional sugar. Would I be ok with just adding the f-pack and not adding morning sugar?

I do not want a dry wine...I am shooting for a moscato d'asti taste!

Thanks!

I was planning on putting the f-pack in and then following the carbonating steps adding additional sugar. Would I be ok with just adding the f-pack and not adding morning sugar?

I do not want a dry wine...I am shooting for a moscato d'asti taste!

Thanks!

If you add the f-pack, that should keep the yeast from carbonating the wine. That's the hard part. The sweetening in the f-pack includes sorbate and things to stop the yeast from starting up again, so that you can sweeten the wine with the f-pack and not have bottle bombs.

It's not possible to sweeten AND carbonate with the f-pack. You can sweeten, OR carbonate (by leaving the F-pack out) but not both.

I was not sure if their f-pac contained sorbate or not. That bites, because that f-pac is quite instrumental in the final product of this moscato. I'd be tempted to contact WE to confirm it does have sorbate in it. Or did you do that already Yooper?

Do you have the ability to force carb it?

I was not sure if their f-pac contained sorbate or not. That bites, because that f-pac is quite instrumental in the final product of this moscato. I'd be tempted to contact WE to confirm it does have sorbate in it. Or did you do that already Yooper?

Do you have the ability to force carb it?

No, I didn't confirm it with them. I just assumed that since it stabilized and sweetened and didn't result in bottle bombs that it contained sorbate (or benzoate) like the other F-packs.

No, I didn't confirm it with them. I just assumed that since it stabilized and sweetened and didn't result in bottle bombs that it contained sorbate (or benzoate) like the other F-packs.

Makes me wonder though, because I know many who add part of WE f-pacs up front and it ferments dry, they stabilize then add the rest. Surely someone else on the forum has tried to sparkle this moscato.

If you add the f-pack, that should keep the yeast from carbonating the wine. That's the hard part. The sweetening in the f-pack includes sorbate and things to stop the yeast from starting up again, so that you can sweeten the wine with the f-pack and not have bottle bombs.

It's not possible to sweeten AND carbonate with the f-pack. You can sweeten, OR carbonate (by leaving the F-pack out) but not both.

Is there anyway to leave out the fpack and then sweeten with more sugar or something like that before bottle carbonating? I do not have the ability to force carbonate and i would like the carbonation to last awhile and I have heard that force carbonating gets less bubbles over time. Today is my clearing and stabilising day. And i would really like to get this to be able to be carbonated however, if I can't this go around, I will just continue with the normal instructions by adding the fpack.

Latest posts

Back