Portland, Maine- Have used kits- kinda wanna try an actual recipe... Need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briandf21

Reaction score
So I am new to this. I have brewed two kits, and love the results. They are kind of fool-proof, which is good, 'cause I'm a fool. I finished conditioning my first batch (a brown ale) last week and its delicious. I have a red ale conditioning now. Both of these were kits. While easy and delicious, I want to try a scratch recipe. I think canned extract is good for now, and have looked over the recipes, but should my local brew shop have recipes based on their inventory? Do you guys recommend that I continue to brew from kits, or am I ready to try a recipe?

Look at the recipe locator on here and find one that is your style. Most of them have some sort of review. Welcome to the club. Are you a Portland, ME native? I'm from the Bangor area originally but now live in Missouri and work in Dallas.

Back