Porter yeasts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrewerTrain

Reaction score
Ive tried quite a few differant yeasts list off your favorit flavors and style of yeasts for dark beers. By fare London Ale 1028 was supreme. lmk

US-04
US-05
Nottingham
London Ale 1028

I use whatever I have handy. It always turns out good. Porter is a very malt-dominated style. Yeast will have an effect, but not one that I really care about much, at this moment in time anyway.

By far London Ale 1028 was supreme.

I could see that. I still have it on my list to play around with more yeast for a dark beers. For a while S-04 was my go to yeast for dark beers, but I have moved to using S-04 or WLP004 Irish Ale for roasty dark beers and WLP013 London Ale (1028 equivalent) for malty dark beers.

My uncle always used WLP013 on his porter, and that was a damn fine porter. My understanding is that it's basically the same as 1028, though I've read some people prefer 1028 because it flocculates better. I may use 1028 in trying to replicate his recipe because WYeast is local.

Last edited:
My uncle always used WLP013 on his porter, and that was a damn fine porter. My understanding is that it's basically the same as 1028, though I've read some people prefer 1028 because it flocculates better. I may use 1028 in trying to replicate his recipe because WYeast is local.

They're only distantly related - WLP013 is most closely related to WLP006 Bedford and S-04, 1028 is most closely related to some of the "Celtic" yeasts like 1728 Scottish Ale and WLP011 Irish.

A lot depends on what kind of dark beer you're making - you'd want a completely different yeast for a milk stout versus a Dublin stout. WLP540 is a fun option - a British yeast that's adapted to high-ABV dark beers in Belgium, so is a good choice for making high-ABV versions of British beers.

They're only distantly related - WLP013 is most closely related to WLP006 Bedford and S-04, 1028 is most closely related to some of the "Celtic" yeasts like 1728 Scottish Ale and WLP011 Irish.

A lot depends on what kind of dark beer you're making - you'd want a completely different yeast for a milk stout versus a Dublin stout. WLP540 is a fun option - a British yeast that's adapted to high-ABV dark beers in Belgium, so is a good choice for making high-ABV versions of British beers.

Interesting, thanks for the info! I will be making his chocolate porter - no adjuncts, the chocolate comes from a heavy dose of chocolate malt. I really liked it with the WLP013 and was going to try the 1028 under the assumption they were the same, but I could get the 1028 even fresher since it's made locally. :)

I like the clean yeasts when using the dark roasted malts, lets the roasted flavors shine through unimpeded. Same approach as to IPAs and hop flavor. WLP004 Irish Ale if you want a less common yeast selection than WLP001.

Last edited:
The performance of several yeasts being discussed here with White Lab's basic Porter recipe (Pasteur Porter) used in their tasting rooms. I posted the recipe for it awhile back in the Ale Recipes section. WL likes this yeast in this recipe, they are frequently comparing others to it in their Tasting Rooms. There is an error in this table WLP022 is Essex Ale Yeast, not Burton.

https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/Pasteur Porter Spec Sheet.pdf

Pasteur Porter Spec Sheet-page-001.jpg

Last edited:
Back