Poor man's exhaust hood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it's not a hood, really. But it lets me brew in the winter in my garage.

My garage is insulated but we never taped the drywall joints. I don't want moisture moving up into the insulated attic and soaking the insulation.

Normally I'd brew w/ both garage doors open, and in the cooler times use a fan to blow over the top of the boil kettle to direct the steam more or less outside. But when it gets to 30 degrees or so, it's darned cold to be leaving those garage doors open.

The trick is a box fan in a window, and a sort of chute to direct air toward the fan, so it pulls from a specific spot. A couple of pieces of light sheet goods on the top to prevent steam from rising above them, and out it goes.

We've used this to exhaust fumes from a toaster oven baking powdercoated bullets, and to exhaust sawdust flux smoke from a casting pot. It also works wonderfully for taking brewing steam outside.

We cracked the service door about 2 inches to provide makeup air, and used a propane heater to keep the garage comfortable. Shirt-sleeve brewing in the winter; I like it!

kettleexhaustfan.jpg

Gotta do what you gotta do. That's awesome.
Ventilation is DEFINITELY on my list. To be done very soon

Latest posts

Back