Dry Hopping and Leftovers In Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLikesBeer

Reaction score
It just occurred to me that, while other people seem to put a filter on while auto siphoning, I did not. I left the trub whil racking from primary and what seemed like a decent amount of hops while racking from secondary to bottle bucket but is there harm in having actual hop particles from a 2oz dry hop in the beer? I hope not cause it's really nice and hoppy :mug:

There is a theory that leaving dry-hopped hops in your beer longer than the recommended 1 week period can lead to grassy flavors, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. The amount that you pulled through your siphon is probably only a very small portion of hop matter that was in your fermentation vessel.

The issue I have is it clogs the spring/valve in my bottle filler. I have to stop and clean out the gunk every so often.

I tried using a strainer but it clogs then my wert spills over.. so I don't use it anymore. Ill try to leave some hop gunk behind but not anal about it when I dump it in. I also tried phoning it in from kettle to primary but it either clogs too or it sucks all the hop matter in anyway

Also for dryhopping I use a bag for pellets. Way too much hop goo. I stick with whole leaf. Much cleaner IMO

Latest posts

Back