Mid-Atlantic SMaTH (yes, SMaTH)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatsoRizzo

Reaction score
I won't have much time for BIAB brewing this summer so had planned to do four or five single hop extract batches using hops I haven't used before (Citra, Simcoe, Palisade, maybe a New Zealand hop). However, I tried a beer from a Swedish micro last week (East Coast Pale Ale by Sigtuna Brygghus in case anyone's interested) that is bittered and flavoured with EKG but aroma and dry hopped with Citra. I really liked the early citrus followed by the spicy finish of the Goldings. So the plan now is to produce a few Mid-Atlantic SMaTH using a British hop for bitter and an American hop for late additions.

Anyone have any suggestions for good pairings? I'm not sure if I should mix and match the English hops or stick to one (EKG? Fuggles? Whitbread? Maybe even Challenger?). Which American hops would match best with any of the above English hops?

I will probably just use Light DME and WLP001 or Safale 05 to keep things simple and brew days short.

Do u have any previous experience with any of those mentioned above? I'd be inclined to try the Whitebread or Challenger but thats because i have experience with the other two. EKG and Fuggles also strike me as a more traditional blend.

Also, and its a bit away from ur question but what New Zealand hop were u thinking of using? I've used moteuka in a lemon-lime hefe and was considering trying a SMaSH with basic 2-row, Moteuka for the boil, split the batch and try dryhopping one with Citra and the other with Sorachi just to compare.

Do u have any previous experience with any of those mentioned above? I'd be inclined to try the Whitebread or Challenger but thats because i have experience with the other two. EKG and Fuggles also strike me as a more traditional blend.

Also, and its a bit away from ur question but what New Zealand hop were u thinking of using? I've used moteuka in a lemon-lime hefe and was considering trying a SMaSH with basic 2-row, Moteuka for the boil, split the batch and try dryhopping one with Citra and the other with Sorachi just to compare.

I was thinking Moteuka or Nelson Sauvin for the Kiwi hops but have never used either so not sure what they are like.

I have used Whitbread GV once before but that batch is bottle conditioning (on deck next week) and this Friday's batch is going to be an all Challenger Summer ale so it will be five weeks until I know how that came out. I too am leaning towards Challenger or WGV as I have done a few batches with EKG now

Back