Recipe Help/Advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GamecockWayne

Reaction score
I am very new to home brewing. I have brewed three kits now and would like to dabble in making my own recipe for a summer brew. I have created the following recipe, can anyone give me advice or point out potential mistakes? This is for a 2.5 gallon brew. Thanks!

PS, I found this recipe online and altered it a bit on brewmasterswarehouse.com.

My Custom Recipe
Ingredient Name Amount
Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract
1 lbs, 14 oz
Briess Bavarian Wheat Liquid Extract
1 lbs, 7.5 oz
Weyermann Pale Wheat
0 lbs, 8 oz
Saaz, US Pellets
.5 oz @ 60 mins
Hallertau Pellets, German
.5 oz @ 15 mins
White Labs East Coast Ale
1 ea
6 ingredients. $21.95

If you're gonna be steeping actual wheat grains, you'll want to go with crystal wheat. The regular wheat needs to be mashed first. Looks fine otherwise, though. :mug:

What are your goals for this beer?

Without knowing what you desire flavorwise, something like this would be more simple:

2.5 lbs. Briess Golden Light DME
1.5 lbs. Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
4.0 oz. Briess Caracrystal Wheat

0.5 oz. Hallertau @ 60
1.0 oz. Hallertau @ 10
0.5 oz. Hallertau @ 0

WLP008

I just would like to come up with a nice beer to drink while I'm grilling out. I'd prefer to use a partial extract recipe.

Partial mash brews are great. But mini-mashing 8 oz. of wheat malt is kind of pointless. For noticeable results in dryness and character, consider mashing at least 25-30% of your beer, preferably more.

I am very new to home brewing. I have brewed three kits now and would like to dabble in making my own recipe for a summer brew. I have created the following recipe, can anyone give me advice or point out potential mistakes? This is for a 2.5 gallon brew. Thanks!

PS, I found this recipe online and altered it a bit on brewmasterswarehouse.com.

My Custom Recipe
Ingredient Name Amount
Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract
1 lbs, 14 oz
Briess Bavarian Wheat Liquid Extract
1 lbs, 7.5 oz
Weyermann Pale Wheat
0 lbs, 8 oz
Saaz, US Pellets
.5 oz @ 60 mins
Hallertau Pellets, German
.5 oz @ 15 mins
White Labs East Coast Ale
1 ea
6 ingredients. $21.95

I would use hallertau for both additions just to save on money ( unless you can buy a half ounce at a time) steeping the wheat will be the same as mashing. Just keep the temp around 150-155F when you do or just leave it out and up the wheat extract. This should come out as a pretty easy drinking wheat beer! Good luck

So I should up the grain? Do I need to dial back the extract if I do? How many oz's of grain should I get?

I am trying to keep this recipe fairly simple.

I would up the wheat extract to 2 lbs and drop the wheat malt. Drop the lme and add 2 lbs 4 oz of german 2-row. Its about the same gravity. You had 1.055 and this should be around there. Steep the grain between 150F-158F lower will have a lower finial gravity and higher temp will have a higher final gravity but more body. It depends on what you want

Back