Question about Bottling Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME_Brewski

Reaction score
How much headspace should be left when bottling Mead? When I bottle beer it is needed to leave headspace for carb. I am new to mead, but it seems like the less headspace, the better because it will only allow for oxidation.

How much headspace should be left when bottling Mead? When I bottle beer it is needed to leave headspace for carb. I am new to mead, but it seems like the less headspace, the better because it will only allow for oxidation.
Same as any commercially bottled wine.

Or of course if you sulphited the batch before bottling then.......

Meads don't oxidise in the same way wines do. Its not a problem.

I believe mead should be bottled like wine with respect to headspace. Not enough headspace can cause problems with the cork, I heard.

So, same as I do beer would be fine?

Yes but if priming/carbonating, remember you must use champagne/sparkling wine bottles as bottle bombs are vvv nasty.

Of course you can always use beer bottles too, just that they're not designed to take as much pressure as a champoo bottle.

Yes but if priming/carbonating, remember you must use champagne/sparkling wine bottles as bottle bombs are vvv nasty.

Of course you can always use beer bottles too, just that they're not designed to take as much pressure as a champoo bottle.

I second that.
My first (and only, until now) mead explosion was in a beer bottle.
Be extra careful about that as it can be very dangerous for you, your family, your pets and your marriage (just imagine your wife's face when you arrive and she had to clean the entire basement which was bathed in a delicious mix of glass and alcoholic honey nectar, you would prefer being there when it happened :p)

Latest posts

Back