Please I need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clett

Reaction score
I really would like to get my husband a "homebrewing kit," of some sort for Christmas. However, I'm really not good with getting Christmas presents for him. I always forget or not get one component of the Christmas gift. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to order one, what I need to get... can he actually do this out in our garage or storage room???? We live in a small town and I think the only option is the internet to buy something. I don't want him to be disappointed. I love to drink beer, too. So I think he will enjoy this new hobby- if it is possible! Thanks for any help out there.:mug:

Welcome him to the obsession. There are some really good places online to purchase kits. Try www.austinhomebrew.com they are a big supporter of this site. You can also try www.finevinewines.com or www.northernbrewer.com.

You might also want to check the laws concerning brewing in Alabama. I know there has been a lot of talk lately about legalizing homebrewing but do not know if it has been done.

And yes, you are in a VERY small town. I have a friend that just recently moved from Enterprise. He loved it there though!

Good luck.

I would suggest going through Midwest Supplies. Their starter kits are great and you get more bang for the buck without forgetting anything. Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew, while good places, are sometimes $60 more.

I don't think it's legal in AL yet - however, many folks there brew. Just don't advertise, don't try to sell any, don't raise any flags and you'll be fine.

Any of those kits are fine.
You'll also need to pick a beer kit - (the ingredients) for his first brew. You'll need to start saving bottles or buy some (they sell them in those online stores). If you save them, save the type with pry-off tops, not screw tops.

many of us order online - we don't have a local home brew supply (unless you get into the bigger cities, there just isn't enough business to support one). Brewmaster's Warehouse in ATL area will ship quickly to your area, too.

And - get him on this site soon! One thing some of the kits tell you is that the whole thing can be done in a week. Not if you want good beer. Count on 4 to 6. And a closet doesn't make a good fermentation chamber except maybe in winter, in Alabama - You need to keep the fermenting beer around 65F - so look at swamp coolers, fermentation control and other search terms here for ideas. you can go as cheap as a wally-world tub filled with water, and watch the water temp, or build a chamber, or convert an old fridge.... you and he can take this as far as you want, or you can start as simple as you want.
Peruse the Beginner section, go back a dozen pages and read all the posts - you'll be amazed what you can take in.

end result, you'll develop your own style of brewing techniques, and you'll make your own BEER!

welcome to HBT!

I am getting ready to get my first kit, so here's my 2 cents.

Most of the starter kits sold online for 5 gallon brewing cost between $70 to $250 bucks.

The big money differences in these kits are three or four things:

-Stainless steel 5 gallon pot, you might already have this, or be able to get it locally.
-Bottles, can be bought separate or collected.
-Ingredients, some kits include a starter set, some don't.
-Buckets vs. Carboy, the carboy is preferred by most and costs more.

I am getting this kit from morebeer.com

http://morebeer.com/view_product/15910/102142/Personal_Home_Brewery_#2_-_Deluxe

It is $110 w/ free shipping, and includes a clear plastic carboy.

I've already bought a kettle at a damaged goods store and got my bottles.

I am probably going to get a Brewer's Best Ingredient kit, since they seems pretty straight forward and have a lot of positive reviews on this forum.

I would also suggest the book the "Joy of Homebrewing", this was recommended to me by a friend that brews, and it is an easy read, that takes you step by step from beginner to expert.

I am going to assume that for my first beer kit I used TrueBrew, althought I'm not 100% positive if that was the actual hardware or if it was just the ingredients.

Either way, TrueBrew worked great for me. I paid about $150 but I overpaid as I bought at a local homebrew store instead of online.

Any kit that you buy will come with instructions and directions but I found that it was helpful to buy a book on it too. I was suggested The Complete Joy of Homebrewing 3rd edition by Charles Papazian. It gives a great breakdown of beginner, intermediate, and advanced brewing and covers topics of fermentation, bottling, hops, malts, barleys, sugar, water, yeast, and gives many many recipes to follow with easy instructions. I bought mine for $12 on Amazon.com

Back