Plastic keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read some horror stories about the plastic sankes, but they can be traced back to unsafe technique and way too high of pressure. From what I understand, a stainless keg would have been fine in those situations, but the plastic gave out. If you are just using it for fermentation, I would jump on it. I recently switched to using cornys to ferment in under pressure and love it. A lot of help in this thread if you want to do pressurized fermentation. Even if you aren't doing pressure fermentation, I would set a safety release valve somewhere just to be cautious, just in case an airlock or blowoff magically clogs up or something. I'm not familiar with sanke blowoff/safey features are, but if it were me I would set one way lower than the max rating, for example in my pressure system I never let it get over ~30 psi, and that is only at the very end. The yeast will produce enough to blow up a keg ten times over it seems, but I assume they would all die if held much higher than 30 for very long.

abrew2, did you end up getting and using these? I just acquired a few of these and was debating using as fermenters or just as extra kegs for storage....

The snake connectors are cheap plastic and leak. I have two of them I got as a sample and they are honestly only good unless the sanke fitting is connected the entire time.

Back