Planning for the next brew day.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
Decided to do a NortherBrewer Chinook IPA recipe kit for the second five gallons while the first carbonates itself. I was reading over the recipe directions and decided to make a couple of small changes based on my reading on the forums.....

1. Increasing the grain steep time from 20 minutes to 30, should pick up a bit of flavor.

2. Skipping the recommended secondary fermentation. I plan to do the dry hop in the primary after active fermentation has stopped, and leave it in the fermenter for 5-7 days after adding the hops.

Sound like a good plan or no?

YMMV

Lon

I can't remember the last time I did an extract recipe. With that said, when I was still doing extract, I would just steep my specialty grains in the kettle until I got up close to 170F on it's way to boil. Sometimes it would steep for 30 minutes, sometimes less or more than that amount. I don't know if more time to steep is better, but I just tried to maximize the steeping time as much as I could.

I can probably count on one hand how many times I've transferred to secondary since I've been brewing. Nowadays, "secondary" to me is kegging the batch. No kegs? No problem, just do everything in primary and you'll be good to go. Hope this helps.

I dry hopped on day 6 and I will cold crash/rack on day 21. Force carb and start drinking on day 23.

I'm no expert though. Just how I am doing this batch.

What flavor profile will that give the beer? Would longer dry hopping time increase the "hoppiness"?

People have done studies about dry hop durations. I'd have to look over some threads but some have posted the graphs. Found that theres no need to go over 4-5 days . When you dry hop at the end of the time in the FV the hop aroma and flavor are brighter imo . I leave my beers in the FV for 3 weeks . I've dry hopped right after fermentation and to me it just seems to me that the hops are fresher tasting if I dry hop at day 17 then package on day 21 rather then dry hop right after fermentation has completed. Play around with your process to see what works best for you and your taste.

Thanks for your input! Wish I would have read it a couple weeks ago. I've got a black IPA in the secondary that's almost ready for bottling. It was my first dry hopped beer, added them right after racking.
People have done studies about dry hop durations. I'd have to look over some threads but some have posted the graphs. Found that theres no need to go over 4-5 days . When you dry hop at the end of the time in the FV the hop aroma and flavor are brighter imo . I leave my beers in the FV for 3 weeks . I've dry hopped right after fermentation and to me it just seems to me that the hops are fresher tasting if I dry hop at day 17 then package on day 21 rather then dry hop right after fermentation has completed. Play around with your process to see what works best for you and your taste.

People have done studies about dry hop durations.
Yup. For what it's worth, Scott Janish in his latest book discusses recent studies done on dry hopping, and the general idea is that beyond 3 days (IIRC), the hop flavor starts shifting towards something different. He mentioned that even one piece illustrated (with Cascade, i think???) that 50% extraction was obtained after just a couple hours of dry hopping. The gist being that maximum extraction is achieved between hours and 3 (or so) days; after that you're getting different flavors, not necessarily more.

Just food for thought.

Back