Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After adding all strike water and stirring thoroughly the resulting mash temp will be achieved before putting the lid on the mash tun. How much dead space was left in the mash tun? 10 degree F drop seems a bit high even with 50F ambient temps.

I have a 54qrt rectangular cooler.... I think I had almost half the cooler still empty...I got a bigger cooler envisioning I will move to 10 gal batch :)

I have a 54qrt rectangular cooler.... I think I had almost half the cooler still empty...I got a bigger cooler envisioning I will move to 10 gal batch :)

That dead space consumed a bit of the heat which dropped mash temp. I've experienced this when mashing small grain bills. Might be time to get another cooler appropriately sized or configure a "false lid". I think Yooper or another brewer posted info on how to do make a false top/lid.

Good luck. :)

I brewed this on Monday, by Tuesday late it started chugging along in my ferm chamber set at 64. Checked it the next day, dipped my head into the freezer (ferm chamber) for a closer look and happened to breath in deeply and MAN o MAN....burning, over the top of my head tingling, stinging in the nose!!! What the hell is growing in the bucket or is this always the way it is....only my second batch with the ferm chamber freezer (ebay temp controller). Almost an acetic acid type nose. Has anyone else noticed this?

Hey Brad,

Ive not made this particular brew, but I have noticed that sharp smell from some of my other beers, particularly the hoppy ones. I like to attribute it to the CO2 plus the fermentation byproducts. I wouldn't worry about it :)

jammin said:
It's just C02

Doubt it, CO2 is odorless and shouldn't burn as this did. More likely some compound from the hops only my second batch using a fermentation chamber so haven't noticed the strong odor. Time will tell

i brewed this beer yesterday. everything went great and i hit the OG of 1.085. i made a 3L yeast starter and the primary was bubbling within 2 hours which i haven't seen before. however i woke up to an exploded fermenter today. i was using a blow-off tube and the bucket lid still blew off. i have a 6 gallon bucket and had exactly 5 gallons of wort. the blow-off tube was about 3 feet long. this morning before work i replaced the 3 foot tube with an 8 foot tube, thinking that that might give more space. has anyone had better experience with a longer blow-off tube? or has anyone just done an open fermentation on this beer for the first few days? I have a feeling that when I get home the lid will be off again. Thanks!

I found the source of the high FG. My thermometer was out of cal. Was off by +11F !!
So, I really mashed at ~162F making the sugars un-fermentable.

Beer smelt and tasted ok while kegging. Should be ready for tasting in a week.

2 gallons done...3 more to go...after (primary+secondary = 5 weeks) condition in keg for 2 extra weeks and carbing... the beer is barely drinkable.

It smells fantastic but the beer has an over powering amber malt taste... very heavy bodied (expected due to the high FG) and finishes off leaving a bitter soapy feel... I'm not sure if all this is due to the high FG (caused by mashing 11degF higher)

Will brew it again in a couple of months... hope to finish of the remaining 3 gal. by then.

2 gallons done...3 more to go...after (primary+secondary = 5 weeks) condition in keg for 2 extra weeks and carbing... the beer is barely drinkable.

It smells fantastic but the beer has an over powering amber malt taste... very heavy bodied (expected due to the high FG) and finishes off leaving a bitter soapy feel... I'm not sure if all this is due to the high FG (caused by mashing 11degF higher)

Will brew it again in a couple of months... hope to finish of the remaining 3 gal. by then.

Then why would you want to brew this again?

Doubt it, CO2 is odorless and shouldn't burn as this did. More likely some compound from the hops only my second batch using a fermentation chamber so haven't noticed the strong odor. Time will tell

The burning sensation in the nose if from CO2, the by product of the yeast. How do I know???? I stuck my head in a keezer that had a CO2 leak that emptied a 40 lbs tank. It is an experience when you dip your head in the keezer and you can't even take a breath through your nose.

The burning sensation in the nose if from CO2, the by product of the yeast. How do I know???? I stuck my head in a keezer that had a CO2 leak that emptied a 40 lbs tank. It is an experience when you dip your head in the keezer and you can't even take a breath through your nose.

The first brew in the ferm chamber was decidedly different--no burning. I can do the 'study'! I have a C02 tank at the lab, I'll try it straight--only a couple breaths of course. Don't want to bleed out MY C02 from my corny setup!:)

bradpoff said:
The first brew in the ferm chamber was decidedly different--no burning. I can do the 'study'! I have a C02 tank at the lab, I'll try it straight--only a couple breaths of course. Don't want to bleed out MY C02 from my corny setup!:)

Careful, bud! I watched someone pass out at a paintball field. It was his first time playing, and he had a co2 leak...his buddy told him to sniff it, and the kid passed right out!

Because I screwed up my mash temp (~13 degF higher) and ended up with a sweetish bitter hoppy carbonated drink... and mostly because I love DFH90 and I think I can do better :D

I understand the "I can do better" but don't think this recipe is a clone of DF90. So even if you "do better" the results may still disappoint.

TrubHead said:
I understand the "I can do better" but don't think this recipe is a clone of DF90. So even if you "do better" the results may still disappoint.

I don't know. I guess that depends on what you think is a clone. I brewed this recipe twice and feel like it was pretty darn close to DFH90.

I don't know. I guess that depends on what you think is a clone. I brewed this recipe twice and feel like it was pretty darn close to DFH90.

I did a side by side and the difference was significant. The amber malt in the clone was a bit too strong. It took more than a couple months to calm down but still didn't taste like DF90. Maybe your ingredients were better than mine.

There a few different recipes in this thread besides the one on the 1st page. Which one did you use?

Well a couple hits (separate) off the C02 tank at work and I can tell you the. Burn I experienced when I dipped my head tilt he deem chamber was not due to C02. I have a DFH60 clone In the fermenter now and I'm not picking up the 'burn' from it either. Must has been something else in the DFH 90

I'm brewing this tomorrow. I've not followed an actual recipe in years- just style guidelines. I have a question for the masses- I'm going to do the hop additions every few min. like I saw posted. Are other people doing this adding the additions directly into the wort, or into a steeping/straining bag? I can't decide if I think it's a big deal or not- so I thought I'd poke around and see if anyone has any strong feelings either way. . . .

oguss0311 said:
I'm brewing this tomorrow. I've not followed an actual recipe in years- just style guidelines. I have a question for the masses- I'm going to do the hop additions every few min. like I saw posted. Are other people doing this adding the additions directly into the wort, or into a steeping/straining bag? I can't decide if I think it's a big deal or not- so I thought I'd poke around and see if anyone has any strong feelings either way. . . .

I did 30 additions every 3 minutes. Straight into the boil, no bags. Divided warrior into 15 Dixie cups and added every 3 mins from 90-45. Combined the simcoe/ Amarillo and divided into 15 Dixie cups, added every 3 minutes from 45-flameout.

Sure: Partial mash is going to be the way to go, you're going to want that character from the Amber malt. Subbing it for crystal won't give the same effect.

1lb 2-row (crushed)
1lb Amber (crushed)
-Steep(mash) those in a grain bag in 1gal of water between 152-155* for 30-45min. Discard grains.
-Add enough water to get you to the amount you normally use pre-boil.
-Add 9.5lbs Light DME or 12lbs Extra Light LME
-Follow the recipe from there, add your top off water to get to 5.5 in the fermenter

-Personally I would also sub out some of the DME or LME for some cane or corn sugar to make sure it attenuates enough. Use 12oz of cane or corn sugar, and 12oz less LME or DME.

This is what I needed

I recently made a 12 gal batch of this and used 2 different yeasts split the 12 gal to two better bottles and then pitched a Witbread yeast in one and a London ale yeast in other. I have used the 007 everytime on this brew but wanted to try some others.
The witbread yeast held more of a hop aroma but less hop flavor.
the london ale yeast was my favorite better than the 007 IMO.
it was hop resin taste nice smell and nice body. attenuated more than the witbread and more than the 007 ever has for me.
anyway just thought I would mention it.

My LHBS didn't have the Fawcett, so they suggested I sub 1.25 lbs of Crystal-75. I went for it, but now I'm having serious reservations. They milled and mixed the 2-row and crystal 75 malts, so I'd need to ditch the grain bag. Thoughts?

My LHBS didn't have the Fawcett, so they suggested I sub 1.25 lbs of Crystal-75. I went for it, but now I'm having serious reservations. They milled and mixed the 2-row and crystal 75 malts, so I'd need to ditch the grain bag. Thoughts?

damn - at the very least, mash LOW (like 148 for 90 minutes).

Better yet - buy 4 to 5 lbs more base malt, blend it in and weigh back out 17.25 lbs. This will lower the C75 percentage down to a more acceptable value.

Personally, I'd do both.

Edit: bummer about your LHBS staff. they should know better

damn - at the very least, mash LOW (like 148 for 90 minutes).

Better yet - buy 4 to 5 lbs more base malt, blend it in and weigh back out 17.25 lbs. This will lower the C75 percentage down to a more acceptable value.

Personally, I'd do both.

Edit: bummer about your LHBS staff. they should know better

I think I'd rather just dump the mix, buy new base malt from another LHBS and the Fawcett online. Completely ruins any chance at brewing this weekend though. :(

Edit: For future reference, what's the issue with the 1.25 lbs of C-75?

Crystal 75 is entirely different from Amber malt not to mention Thomas Fawcett. The grain mix you have will produce a beer more like S.N. Celebration, not bad actually; But not what you want. Can't believe they didn't suggest another Amber malt! Like Jammin said: Rather than wasting the grain you could go ahead and brew the batch as is or divide it in half and add more 2 row and brew 2 batches of a lighter beer.
Good luck with your brewing.

Since you only need a small amount of T.F. Amber, have it overnighted for the weekend.

I'm in Canada. $21 shipping for $1.68 worth of grain.

Plus, a friend of mine and I actually ordered a couple pounds of this malt from Farmhouse a few months ago and had it shipped to a US address, then drove down and picked it up. They sent us Brown malt instead of the Thomas Fawcett Amber.

Not impressed with Farmhouse at all.

Ended up buying TF amber from Rebel Brewer. Will ditch the 2row/C75 mix and buy more 2 row. Oh well, $24 lesson.

This is a fantastic recipe, thanks for sharing it!

My only changes were with fermentation time and dry hop schedule (added them all at once during kegging).
Primary: 4 weeks @ 64 degrees
Keg/Secondary/Cold conditioning: 3 weeks @ 42 degrees

:mug:

1077749_560670890662643_528307507_o.jpg

Maybe someone has the answer. But the two times I have tried making this I could not get that malty sweet flavor dfh 90 has. I have been doing it as an extract w steeping specialty grains possibly that's why. Any suggestions or anyone else have this issue. Comes out as a good IIPA but doesn't quite have that dfh 90 distinct taste.

Cheers!!!

You are not alone in your observations about the taste of this beer 'in bottles". The product is not exactly the same from batch to batch and changes as it ages. It's good to check the bottled date and stay with fresh product. I've had draft at the Restaurant in Rehoboth and it's a bit drier than the bottled product. According to information on the internet this beer is said to be bottled conditioned. If that's true, the sugar used in the conditioning could account for the sweet taste. They own a Maple Syrup farm in New England and use it in the 75 minute product. Maybe they use some amount of Maple Syrup in the bottle conditioning step??
Have brewed this several times but have moved onto other recipes.

Wow I have always loved this recipe and it has always had the sweet rich malty flavor (and high abv%) as well. I have put this recipe side by side with the DFH 90 min and people liked mine better. Not sure if it is because I am brewing all grain or what but maybe some. This recipe is spot on!

But I agree. Sorry missed the point you where making. The real dfh 90 I never biy unless its fresh now. Any beer for that matter. It stinks that places sell beers that are so old...

Thanks for response. Bill33525 you could be right on with the maple syrup. It just has suck a distinct tast that is hard to recreate. I have had the 75 and like it as well. The Burton Baton might even be better in my opinion. But all three have that distinct sweetness to them. I also keg t
My beers no bottle conditioning. If I were to add maple syrup would it be at the end of the boil?

So I just tossed two vials of WLP007 into a 2L starter. Both vials smelled and tasted a bit sour and champagne-like. Hard for me to believe BOTH vials could have turned. Best by dates were Nov 1.

Hello everyone. So i decided to brew this 90 minute clone for my dad whom is coming down for labor day. I tapped the keg last night, after two weeks since being kegged, to see how it was coming along. The color looks great but still a little cloudy. The hop aroma smelled enticing as I had hoped. When I took a sip, it was sweet--which puzzled me. I got a hint of bitterness, but there was definitely a strong sweetness to it that I was no expecting. I'm thinking (hoping rather) that it is still too green. Here is the information on the brewing/fermentation process:

I mashed 16lb of 2-row and 2lb of TF&Sons at 150* for 90 minutes, with initial temperature after mash-in probably settling at 152*. Ratio was about 1.5qt/lb. I did the 90 minute boil adding the mixed hops at 10 minute intervals. I threw in some irish moss at the end of the boil and chilled the wort to about 78*. I pitched in two packets of S-04 to hydrate for 30-40 minutes before aerating and sealing up the fermenter. OG was 1.088 (I got about 71% efficiency on the mash).

So fermentation kicked off like a rocket booster which kept temperatures fairly high on the fermenter for the first 24 hours. I kept an eye on it and it started at 74-76* (yikes). I was able to cool it down to the mid 60s using a swamp cooler, keeping it between 66 and 68 for the remainder of the fermentation. It was in the primary for two weeks; SG when I racked to secondary to dry hop was 1.016 (which turned out to be the FG). I left it in the secondary for 10 days or so before kegging. ABV est. 9.3%, IBU 83, SRM 10*L.

I sanitize, sanitize and sanitize; additionally, I ferment in a dark room so no sunlight comes in. I am thinking the beer is either two green yet (9.3% and two weeks probably isn't anywhere near enough) or maybe the high temperature for the first 24 hours of the fermentation has something to do with it. Suggestions on what's causing the sweetness? haha. I know it needs more time to condition because of how big it is, but I am paranoid that I jacked up somewhere during the brew->keg process resulting in the flavor. This is my first AG IPA...

Latest posts

Back