Does this make sense?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 78027

Reaction score
I wanted to brew on Friday so I was going to buy the supplies tomorrow, start the starter and be ready for friday morning.

BUT,

I now have an appointment on Friday morning and need to brew tomorrow so I thought,

I will get the supplies first thing in the morning, and right off make the starter.
Carry out the brew and wait maybe an hour or two and pitch the yeast. I make extract brews so this will give the starter about 4 hours to build up before I pitch. I figure this will be better then just pitching the yeast without any starter time.

a citrussy pale ale.

I was ging to use either

Wyeast American Ale (1056) or White Labs Cali Ale (WLP001)

LHBS does not carry it. I will try to check around in the morning. Thanks for your help.

Very surprised they don't carry it. Red pack

ForumRunner_20130509_101810.jpg

If they dont have dry yeast then yest making a starter like that will get it going and be helpful, just make sure you pitch enough yeast since your starter won't actually have time to multiply. White labs has a way to just activate the yeast instead of making a starter. I believe it's something like 1/4 cup DME in a pint of water...

I am confused. You want to buy supplies tomorrow and make a starter for Friday? Tomorrow IS Friday. A typical starter takes 18 - 24 hours on a stirplate. You can check mrmalty.com to determine how much yeast you should pitch. A single vial of liquid yeast will ferment the beer but does not have the optimum cell counts.

A pack of dry yeast -US05 would be best.

. White labs has a way to just activate the yeast instead of making a starter. I believe it's something like 1/4 cup DME in a pint of water...

^^ This is not a starter. It is just a little energizer to wake up the yeast for a shorter lag time. You would still be under pitching.

I am confused. You want to buy supplies tomorrow and make a starter for Friday? Tomorrow IS Friday.

The request was written yesterday evening which makes tomorrow thursday. which is now today. I will look for a close LHBS that has the US-05.

kh54, yes I am aware it's not a starter, I dont think he will get much of anything by leaving a regular starter for 4 hours which is why I recommended just activating and making sure he pitches enough yeast

Back