No carb porter - forgot to stir - How to fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickinWI

Reaction score
The title captures the 3 main points. I brewed NB's St Paul Porter, bumped the OG slightly with an extra lb of dextrose. OG was 1.061, FG 1.013.

I added 2/3 cup of sugar dissolved in 2 cups water to my bucket, then racked in just over 5 gallons of beer VERY quietly on top of it.

After bottling 48 I had to tilt the bucket to get the last 4 or so bottles filled.

I had a splash of beer left in the bottom of the bucket and since my FG sample was so delish I decided to drink the rest! :D

It was pure sugar. :smack: I realized then that I had not stirred after racking my beer onto my priming solution, and I didn't whirlpool either. I siphoned really smoothly, unfortunately.

I capped everything anyway and I figured I would see if it would carb.

It didn't. I have opened, sampled and dumped about 4 bottles now, and I would really really like to save the rest because the flavor is just great. I HAVE heard a little bit of CO2 escape when I opened the bottles, but not much. Beer is completely FLAT on an aggressive pour.

Bottled 5/8, spent 2 weeks at about 67*F, and 3 weeks at 70*F-ish.

I went out and picked up some bottle conditioning tabs, but haven't done anything with them yet. My thought was less risk for infection if I just open each bottle drop in a couple tabs and re-cap, compared to pouring into bucket, adding more priming solution and then rebottling.

Thoughts? :confused: Need to save this beer!

Thanks,
Nick

That's perfect for carb tabs. Forget infection with pouring into the bucket, you'll oxidize it big time.

Pop the caps, add the recommended number of tabs, let sit at 70 for three weeks, you'll be all good.

Back