Pineapple concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
Has anyone used pineapple concentrate juice before? I'm talking about the frozen stuff that comes in the tin cans.

I'm looking to make a pineapple IPA and was going to add 1-2 cans of this stuff to the secondary. I'm looking for enough flavor to make it obvious but not so much that it overwhelms the hops.

If anyone has used pineapple concentrate, how much did you use and how did it taste?

I'm working in 5 gallon batches.

kroger-percent-juice-pineapple-2977.jpg

From what I understand the pineapple will kill your yeast if you add it during the brew process. So I would add it after you reach the FG.

A user named Noggins posted this.

Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin IPA
12lb 2row
1.25lb Crystal 10
1lb CaraPils
0.5lb Belgian CaraPils
Mash @149 90min

1oz magnum 60
2oz Amarillo(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH7)
2oz Citra(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH7)
2oz Simcoe(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH7)
0.25lb Sugar 10min

10lb Thawed Frozen Pineapple DH14
US05

From what I understand the pineapple will kill your yeast if you add it during the brew process. So I would add it after you reach the FG

Thats what I've read too, but also read it's not true. So who knows? I will add it to secondary after FG is met, but if it really does kill yeast then the bottles won't carbonate...

That's actually the recipe I'm going to make, but want to use concentrate instead. Seems like an easier solution to get enough flavor.

Thats what I've read too, but also read it's not true. So who knows? I will add it to secondary after FG is met, but if it really does kill yeast then the bottles won't carbonate...

That's actually the recipe I'm going to make, but want to use concentrate instead. Seems like an easier solution to get enough flavor.

I would use the concentrate honestly....but that's b/c I would no reason or research lol. I use concentrate lemonade when I do my hard lemonade so....

I would use the concentrate honestly....but that's b/c I would no reason or research lol. I use concentrate lemonade when I do my hard lemonade so....

Late to the party...sorry. My current post (before I saw yours) was about pineapple juice concentrate to be added in the keg after fermentation and cold crashing. Based on your posts, looks like it would work fine. And it if does kill the yeast....that's even better.

I add 3-4 cups of organic pineapple juice after I cold crash. Its worked very well. Brewed 75 gallons with a local brewery that sold very well.

I just kegged a Pineapple Habanero IPA last night. I pureed two whole pineapples and placed in the boil with 10 minutes to go. This did not kill my yeast at all. As a matter of fact, this was the most active fermentation I have had to date.

I just kegged a Pineapple Habanero IPA last night. I pureed two whole pineapples and placed in the boil with 10 minutes to go. This did not kill my yeast at all. As a matter of fact, this was the most active fermentation I have had to date.

How much pineapple flavor did you get?

I cannot find pineapple concentrate at any of my local stores. Might have to use real or frozen pineapple instead.

Brewing this up on Sunday.

How much pineapple flavor did you get?

I cannot find pineapple concentrate at any of my local stores. Might have to use real or frozen pineapple instead.

Brewing this up on Sunday.

Great pineapple aroma and a nice pineapple flavor upfront. It's not like a shandy. You are not drinking pineapple juice. I love this beer. Very happy with it.

Never used concentrate, but I have brewed 4 pineapple IPA's to date. I use a 46oz can of 100% pineapple juice for a 5.5 gal batch and the flavor is noticeable, but not overpowering. My best ones have featured a huge amount of Mosaic/Citra which taste the most "pineapple-y" to me.

And no, it definitely won't kill the yeast. I add mine at flame-out and let sit for at least ten minutes (longer if doing a hopstand) to pasteurize the juice. With my current recipe, I easily end up with ~88% attenuation.

I've made both pineapple wine and beer, without the yeast dying. For the pineapple beer, I made a hefewezien base, and threw the fresh frozen chunks of one pineapple in secondary of a 2 gallon batch. It turned out great, and maintained the flavor in the bottle for a loong time. With the pineapple concentrate, just make sure it is 100% juice, and maybe only use 2-3 cans of concentrate in secondary for 5 gallons. Realize that you will restart fermentation so may want to use a blowoff tube. Throwing in primary, while the yeast is going strong, will result in more fruit flavors being fermented out by the yeast. Adding to secondary you will taste more fruit flavor in finished product by adding less. I know some like previous poster prefer adding at flameout, but secondary is whats always worked for me. However, I usually brew fruit beers with low IBUs where the fruit is the "star", and am not an IPA guy, so different beer than previous comment.

For store-bought juice, no need to pasteurize. I prefer not to cook or heat up fruit before throwing it in my beer, so it tastes fresh and not like cooked fruit. Even with fresh fruit, sanitize when you process it, then freeze and thaw to throw in secondary and you should be fine. If you make fresh fruit juice, and are really worried about it, (ive done this w watermelons in the past as they are known for spoiling quickly) you can throw the juice in the fridge with a kmeta tablet for a day to pasteurize, before adding to beer

Pineapple or any other fruit won't kill your yeast. It should make the fermentation stronger from the added fruit. The juices or juice concentrate might depending on what is in it. If it has preservatives added, then most likely it could kill your yeast. If you are adding the juice after fermentation is over, it doesn't really matter. If the label has absorbing acid listed that is fine, it is only vitamin c. The yeast killers are things like potassium sulfite or stuff like that.

I brewed this yesterday and didn't end up adding any pineapple to the boil. I'm going to add it to the secondary along with dry hops. I'm currently leaning towards using pineapple extract or pure pineapple juice (if I can find any).

It's fermenting away like crazy at the moment at 66F. I used US-05 that was collected from the blowoff of my last batch and put it through a starter. It started blowing off in 5 hours!!! OG was 1.072.

I brewed this yesterday and didn't end up adding any pineapple to the boil. I'm going to add it to the secondary along with dry hops. I'm currently leaning towards using pineapple extract or pure pineapple juice (if I can find any).

It's fermenting away like crazy at the moment at 66F. I used US-05 that was collected from the blowoff of my last batch and put it through a starter. It started blowing off in 5 hours!!! OG was 1.072.

Pure pineapple juice is not hard to find at all. Most of it in the cans at the grocery is pure pineapple, at least that was my experience in GA.

Pure pineapple juice is not hard to find at all. Most of it in the cans at the grocery is pure pineapple, at least that was my experience in GA.

I might go the canned pineapple juice route. Any need to pasteurize it? And I like the idea of adding a bit more volume. I've lost about 1/2 gallon now just through the blow off.

Have you had Pineapple Sculpin? I'm curious if 48oz of pineapple juice was enough to mimic this beer's flavor. I'd rather go too much than too little.

I might go the canned pineapple juice route. Any need to pasteurize it? And I like the idea of adding a bit more volume. I've lost about 1/2 gallon now just through the blow off.

Have you had Pineapple Sculpin? I'm curious if 48oz of pineapple juice was enough to mimic this beer's flavor. I'd rather go too much than too little.

I don't use a secondary, I have the FastFerment Conical, but when it was time to dry hop my Pineapple Habanero, I did pour in a 48oz can of pineapple juice. As I said in an early post, it is by far my favorite beer I've made. You shouldn't have to pasteurize it. I didn't. I just dunked the whole can in Starsan to make sure nothing got in my beer when I poured it in from the outside of the can.

I'll try posting this here instead of starting a new thread. I'm trying to figure out how many points pineapple juice concentrate will add to my Pineapple IPA. I haven't really come up with a recipe yet but I think I will base it on my standard NEIPA and just add the concentrate after fermentation has died down before I dry hop. I know it will kick up fermentation again a second time.

The can says there are six servings with 25 grams of sugar per serving for 150 grams or a little over 5 oz of sugar in the container but I am not sure what percentage of that is fermentable sugar. I am guessing 90%. Does anybody know?

Does anybody else want to share their experience of adding pineapple juice concentrate to beer?

1588735731403.jpeg

1588735779216.jpeg

Back