First brew jitters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littletommy

Reaction score
So, I have been planning my first solo brew all week, and tomorrow is the big day. I have all of my gear together, and will brewing the Northern brewer American Wheat kit. I've got the step by step instructions and DVD, and I'm really pumped about getting something in the fermentors.

I swear, though, I have butterflies in my stomach thinking about brew day. I found out my wife has to work til noon tomorrow, so I've already pushed back my start time so she can be here. I don't know why, or what I expect to go wrong, but I'll feel better if she's here to help.

Does this make me some sort of weirdo?

hahaha...nah man, it's exciting stuff. Don't be nervous, just write out your steps on paper and keep it close by, that way if you forget something, it will be there to remind you. And stay on top of your sanitation!

And remember, it's supposed to be fun. Don't let it psych you out.

You were already entered in weirdo-hood when you first thought home brewing might be worth trying.

Actually, that's really sweet.

Not a weirdo, just overly anxious :D
I just started a few days ago and I still get the "pre-brew jitters," making sure everything is organized, sanitized, etc.
The best advice I can give to a fellow newbie is to just chill. It's a fun hobby, there's no reason to make it stressful.
Also, good call having wife there. There's always something to clean and an extra pair of hands is always welcome :mug:

Within three months you'll be pushing the start time forward to 5am so you can, "get all this beer crap out of my kitchen" before she gets home from work.

It's brewing evolution 101. Don't fight the inevitable.

Within three months you'll be pushing the start time forward to 5am so you can, "get all this beer crap out of my kitchen" before she gets home from work.

So much truth.

Try having this hobby with a wife who's celiac. She doesn't even enjoy the end product! Although, to stay on her good side I keep a cider pipeline going at all times.

Hopefully you can sleep tonight. First few batches I did I was so excited, I was up every few hours with excitement. It was like Christmas Eve!

This may sound silly but I actually fall asleep visualizing the steps of the brew day the night before. Since you wanna wait till your gf gets home I would sit down and write a outline of your process, watch the dvd if needed and keep that outline in reach while brewing. Now it is a rule to drink beer while brewing but I never start drinking till Im ready to heat my strike water. (At this point everything should be together, sanitized and ready to rock) And most of all as mentioned just relax!!! Welcome to the best hobby ever known!!!

Those are all symptoms of brewer's addiction. Welcome to the greatest hobby in the world, wait until you drink your first one.

I felt the exact same way my first brew day. I was triple checking everything, generally a nervous wreck. My second one was completely different. Cracked a few beers, had a good book. Once you realize how easy it is its a different ball game.

I'm new and have made four very good brews, but I still kind of freak out when I'm about to brew a batch. I have a stout fermenting right now and I check on it constantly. It's normal I'm sure! Just relax. You will be drinking you own brew real soon!

Just relax! I was so stressed out my first few brew sessions I almost ruined being able to brew cause I was such a dick to my wife. Follow the steps and if you mess up its no big deal, it will still turn out 99% of the time. Soon enough you won't even look at the recipe after you create cause it will all be second nature!

Relax - unless you throw hot garbage into the fermenter you're really unlikely to ruin it. Have fun and welcome!

Just relax, plan out your moves. Maybe make a checklist. It is not difficult, you just have to pay attention to what you are doing.

The most important thing that is not really covered in most directions is to control fermentation temperatures. Look up "swamp cooler". The fermentation will increase the wort temperature by 5 - 10 degrees.

Most of all - have fun! :D

I just brewed my fourth batch today, solo...find a system that works for you and go with it. Thanks to this site, in addition to my 4 beers I have brewed, I have an Ed Wort's Apfelwein that I bottled today. I have a saki wine brewing, and I think I just found a piece of wood outside that I am thinking about fermenting.

Agree to all statements. I think the individual who wrote my Fat-Tire Ale "first ever brew" was hammered! Not going to name the company but I had to read it over numerous times as It was not clearly written. I was sure my brew was ruined when I neglected to add the malt extract and had to reboil!! I've never had a fat tire but my first sip was a relief as it was carbonated and had booze and taste got better as days went on. Just bottled a magic # 9 half apricot, half blueberry from a local supplier and the process was much more relaxing as I now understand the process and how it works. Just relax and have a brew!

Well, I slept OK last night, now I'm in "get it done" mode, and the butterflies are gone. I bought six Franziskaners last night, so I'll crack one of those around 12:30 and get started.:mug:

Back