keg hop or dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
Ive gone back and forth on whether or not I like dry hopping in the primary (or secondary) or just tossing the hops in the keg and racking over them (then waiting a couple extra days for aroma-dispersion).

What is the boards thoughts??? Are there any advantages/disadvantages/risks associated with either of the options?

I've moved to all-keg dry-hopping (in a bag of course). If you are worried about clarity (I'm not), you can fine with gelatin after a few days. I add the hops in while racking to keg, then give it a little shake after sealing to move things around (plus I carb this way).

Was wondering about dry hopping in the keg since I usually go right from primary into the keg. Interesting.

I like both to be honest. My last few IPA's I do 1 week dry hop and then a small addition of keg hops. It just adds another level of aroma. Tasty stuff.

Last time I dry-hopped in fermenter for 3-4 days prior to kegging, there just wasn't the punch I wanted. I added to keg and it was a new beer. I feel like my FV dry hops are almost wasted.

Haha, y'all are no help. I've really been going back and forth and I've had good results with both.

It really depends more on when I have an empty keg or how much hops I'm hopping with. 3oz of whole hops is tough to stuff in a keg.

I guess ill just continue doing what I've been doing since the consensus seems to be its all a matter of preference.

Back