Picobrew hop additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I thinking about building an automated small brewery, I'm in the UK so I can get a Pico, and I'm interested in the way Pico handles the hops.

I know they go in containers and are flushed with wort that then runs into the boiler, but how is this done?

Is there a valve per container or does the wort overflow from one to the next?
How is the wort maintained at 100°C until it enters the hop container?
Are the hops waiting in a hot and humid environment until the boiling wort is run through them?

Thanks All.

Aamcle

I thinking about building an automated small brewery, I'm in the UK so I can get a Pico, and I'm interested in the way Pico handles the hops.

I know they go in containers and are flushed with wort that then runs into the boiler, but how is this done?

Is there a valve per container or does the wort overflow from one to the next?
How is the wort maintained at 100°C until it enters the hop container?
Are the hops waiting in a hot and humid environment until the boiling wort is run through them?

Thanks All.

Aamcle
I have a pico brew. I don't use their picopacks. When I did, I did not see any different parts of the pack being treated any differently. My guess is, as you move through the mash stage and into the boil, the cardboard becomes saturated with water and reaches the hops.

I have been brewing in a bag with the pico adding hops in a bad as you would with all grain. It's worked out well for me. After boil move to a fermentation jar and chill dump yeast and your on your way.

Back