Pico C Unpak'd Not even close on numbers....HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deckerchevy

Reaction score
I just got my Pico C Unpak'd system and created an Imperial IPA recipe that uses 7lbs of grain. Projected OG 1.083 FG 1.012 IBU 102 SRM 13 ABV 10%. My problem that I have with this system is I am not completely sure it accounts for everything like grain absorption among other things. My actual's were not even close. My OG was 1.054. I only was able to collect .5 gallons. I left it because if I added water to make up the difference the OG would get even worse. I noticed during the mash that the water doesn't even cover the grain so how does it get full conversion? Im betting most of the loss in wort was due to grain absorption. Anyone else have these issues? First batch out and Im severely disappointed. I only did that high of a grain bill because I looked at a few of the PicoPak's and they had larger grain bills. Im not sure how to fix this. I would rather just go back to stove top if Im going to lose this much everytime. I bought this to do experimentals before scaling up to my 10gal system but if this happens every time I am not sure I want to keep this. Thoughts?

7 pounds of grain for 1.5 gallons seems really wrong. Are you sure you had your numbers right? I just threw 7# into BeerSmith with a final volume on 1.5 gallons and the projected efficiency to land on 1.083 is 57%.

Where did you get the numbers for grain bill/water amount/potential efficiency/etc?

Is this the only "unpak'd" batch you made with the system?

This is the only Unpak'd I did. I used their recipeCrafter and put in the grain and it automatically puts in the rest of the stuff. Ironically I am using a Tilt to measure like I usually do on my big batches but need a recipe to input so I also threw it into Beersmith just to get a recipe and the numbers were all over the place. I attributed it to the equipment setup(since I am an idiot and waited last minute and didn't have one in) I attached the recipecrafter printout so you can see. Im baffled. I have been brewing a long time now and I know that grain absorption and full conversion are huge for efficiency and hitting your numbers and the fact that half the grain was above the water level concerns me alot. Also I think from now on I will not be using their crafter. I will use Beersmith like I am used to and figure out the equipment profile. I trust it a lot more. Now I just need to figure out a container that will allow for all the grain to be submerged.

Attachments

• Pico Manual Brew Crafter (BETA).pdf
    113 KB · Views: 99
Yeah I'd say their recipe crafter needs to be updated, maybe send them an email.
It looks like it is saying you will have 0 loss at all.
Does BS have a Pico Profile?
You may want to do a "smaller" beer as a test to figure out your profile otherwise.

Yeah I think so too. I have a tried and true red ale recipe that I will try to scale down. Im not sure they have a pico profile so I will have to ask.

Back