Raspberry Wheat from wort (Festa Brew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mowie666

Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought a Wheat wort from Festa brew, which came with a bottle of raspberry puree. The instructions don't mention whether to add the puree to the primary or secondary fermenter. What do you think? I'm guessing I'd add it to the bottom of the secondary, but really not sure..

Thanks in advance.

Adding fruit is one of the few times I'd recommend a secondary. Add it to the secondary and rack your beer ontop. It'll kick off another round of fermentation (hence the term secondary) and I'd leave it for at least a week. Better yet, leave it until the gravity stabilizes again.

Greetings

I am in the process of finishing my Festa Raspberry Wheat, and the instructions given by my HBS (Noble Grape) was to add the purée to the primary. I did so and checked the gravity at 1.047 at 65 F. After a week the SG is at 1.012 at 65 F. I reached to secondary and sampled the wort. It tastes nice and so I'm sure they've guided me correctly. I would be leery of adding it to the secondary, if only because it would crud up my hard to clean carboy. Adding it to the primary ensures there is enough yeast activity to carry out a more complete fermentation of sugars. BTW, Noble Grape works closely with Magnotta (Festa) on a number of brewing innovations and recipes.

Adding it during primary fermentation will drive off volitle aromas, some flavor compounds and even color (dont know why), that you would want in the final product...
Either add it to secondary and rack over or pitch the puree in primary as krausen starts to drop for best flavor/aroma extraction.

My ALLTIME favorite combination is pilsner/wheat hopped with cascade and 3pds of apricots in secondary.
Absolutly creamy combination very bready and the tart fruit plays very well with the light citrus from the cascade.

Raspberries are a VERY close secound.
Cheers!!

+1 to johnnyhitch. There is plenty of yeast in your beer to carry the secondary fermentation in a secondary vessel. Putting your fruit right into the primary during active fermentation would work but you'll lose color, aroma and even some flavor. I hardly ever secondary- exceptions being aging beers, adding fruit or wood.

DocScott said:
+1 to johnnyhitch. There is plenty of yeast in your beer to carry the secondary fermentation in a secondary vessel. Putting your fruit right into the primary during active fermentation would work but you'll lose color, aroma and even some flavor. I hardly ever secondary- exceptions being aging beers, adding fruit or wood.

Thanks for the feedback gents. I will try your suggestions on my next round, as I am not loathe to experimentation. While I agree there may be enough yeast left to carry the purée, I thought I'd stick with the tested advice from Noble Grape. Stay tuned - the long weekend is upon us in the great white north and yours is coming :)

Mowie666 said:
Hi there,

I bought a Wheat wort from Festa brew, which came with a bottle of raspberry puree. The instructions don't mention whether to add the puree to the primary or secondary fermenter. What do you think? I'm guessing I'd add it to the bottom of the secondary, but really not sure..

Thanks in advance.

So what did you end up doing? And how's it working for you?

Hello,

I added the puree to the bottom of the carboy at the beginning of secondary fermentation. Things went OK except that I noticed the next day I was bubbling over. I maybe didn't leave enough room in carboy? So after discussing with a friend, I took out the airlock and ran a hose from the bung to an empty bucket with some water/sanitizing solution in it. For the next 2 days it 'blew off steam' and then I switched back to the airbung/lock. Now I am getting 'activity' in the airlock every 15-20 seconds. I am at day 8 and should bottle at around day 10, although I want to make sure it has stopped bubbling. I could check the gravity on successive days but I am worried about introducing contamination.

It smells and looks great, so I hope it turns out!!

Sounds like you're getting very active fermentation! I've not had a significant blow over yet with Festa, although I've had a couple with Brewhouse which uses a standard Coopers yeast. Mine is committed to bottles for two days now, and it's settling nicely. I figured bottles over kegging with this one. Anyway it does have a pinkish color and tartish flavor but all is good. Anyway, best luck with this one.

BTW what was the name of the raspberry purée you used? Mine was a can of Vintners Harvest Raspberry purée - 48 oz. from Oregon. Noble Grape sold it to me for $49 with a 23 l box of Festa Wheat wort - a pretty good deal I figure.

Mine was the same puree, as I got mine from Noble Grape in Bayers Lake (Halifax). It is funny that Noble Grape told you to add to primary, and told me to add to secondary (the puree). I believe I paid the same price. Oh well if our batches turn out markedly different we can trade hahah.

I'm going to bottle today or tomorrow to maintain the schedule. Meanwhile, the Cerveza I just made is delicious, especially with a shot of lime. Great hobby!

Hahaha! I too bought mine at Bayers. The web flyer said add to primary, and store guy Jonathan said so as well. The manager lady said secondary is ok and will change character as did the boys addressing us here on this forum. I got another can and might try half to primary and half to secondary next time lol.

Im about to bottle mine tomorrow, same deal thru noble grape.....i had a quick sip while reading the gravity...not very tart! I added my puree in primary, but MAN did it ever bubble over! Blow off for me next time! It smells amazing too, like fresh raspberries.

mc967266 said:
Im about to bottle mine tomorrow, same deal thru noble grape.....i had a quick sip while reading the gravity...not very tart! I added my puree in primary, but MAN did it ever bubble over! Blow off for me next time! It smells amazing too, like fresh raspberries.

I didn't have the volcanic blow that I sometimes have with brewhouse and Coopers yeast... What kind of temps were you at? I was mid 60's F, so around 17-19 Celsius ... I have only had to be blown with Brewhouse... No blowjobs with Festa lol! My Brewhouse is indeed a dirty girl lol! Should've married her lol!

elreplica said:
I didn't have the volcanic blow that I sometimes have with brewhouse and Coopers yeast... What kind of temps were you at? I was mid 60's F, so around 17-19 Celsius ... I have only had to be blown with Brewhouse... No blowjobs with Festa lol! My Brewhouse is indeed a dirty girl lol! Should've married her lol!

I mean don't get me wrong with the little tart part. As my dear old pops would remind me that there's nothing wrong with a little tart :)

Latest posts

Back