help no activity in my oktoberfest lager - bit to old yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asco

Reaction score
Hey, just did make an 5 gallons oktoberfest brew, with wyeast 2366 oktoberfest smartpack yeast, but it was one-two mounts over due date, didten think it has much to say becurse it was store in the fridge.

But now im at the 48' houre and still no activitey at all! I see now in verius forums that is should have make an starter out of it first, but didten.

the big question now is, should i wait some more or should i throw in another yeast? the only yeast i have right now is an Safbrew S-33, but thats not for lager... and can i mix it now?

what say you fokes?

assuming you don't have a LHBS nearby, i would warm the beer up to 70 until you see signs of fermentation and then cool it down to 54/55 for fermentation. be sure to do a diacetyl rest when the krausen is falling at the end of primary, let it d-rest around 70 then rack and warm condition at basement temps for a couple weeks and then lager for as long as you can stand.

i think the process above will give you better beer than adding s-33

assuming you don't have a LHBS nearby, i would warm the beer up to 70 until you see signs of fermentation and then cool it down to 54/55 for fermentation. be sure to do a diacetyl rest when the krausen is falling at the end of primary, let it d-rest around 70 then rack and warm condition at basement temps for a couple weeks and then lager for as long as you can stand.

i think the process above will give you better beer than adding s-33

it is now standing in 70-75 now and have since start. the rest of the way you descripe is what i did attent to do otherwise. But im most concernt the time before it start to be active, what is max time without activity?

it is now standing in 70-75 now and have since start. the rest of the way you descripe is what i did attent to do otherwise. But im most concernt the time before it start to be active, what is max time without activity?
just wait. if you're at 70-75 you'll see activity soon. let us know where it's at today

It should take off at some point but 2 days of inactivity would be about my max before I started to worry. Next time make a appropriate sized starter or use dry lager yeast. Hopefully you should see some activity soon.

Hey guyes... it went off just fine after 50-60 hours... Just neede to learn to be more patience :)... the first fermiation is soon over and then for lager period... actualy it is my first lager and fermitaion in my frigede, so excitet :)

thx for thel help

make sure to raise the temperature to 65-70F when the krausen starts to fall and leave it there for a few days. a diacetyl rest is going to be essential for that beer.

Back