Phew!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygar

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a Kolsch with Fermentis Saflager 34/70 yeast and whew rotten eggs lol. I have heard this is normal with lagers? I did accidently lose my rubber stopper in the carboy :( … but it was sanitized. But I am hoping no infection. Thoughts... does this yeast typically give off smell?

I'm curious how you lost a bung in the carboy...and how the hell did you get it out??!

As for the Rhino farts though you'll be alright. Let the yeast do it's thing. Cheers!

I'm curious how you lost a bung in the carboy...and how the hell did you get it out??!

As for the Rhino farts though you'll be alright. Let the yeast do it's thing. Cheers!

Lol it's a 3 gal carboy. And 6.5 rubber stoppers are supposed to fit... they dont. Too small... accidentally pushed little too hard and into the beer it went. It's still in beer! It was sanitized but concern of infection is there. Crossing my toes it's alright.

34/70 blows a lot of sulfur during fermentation. It’s expected every time. Have no fear it will pass.

Ah, I've been having the opposite problem with mine lately where I have to use electrical tape to keep mine in place. But, that's usually because the bung and bung hole (lol) are wet (that's what she said). Sorry, I've been day drinking...

The risk of infection is a little bit of a concern, but I think as long as the stopper soaked in a sanitizing solution for a couple minutes you'll be alright. Cheers!

Most lagger yeasts I use are really smelly during fermentation !!!! Like rotten sulfur eggs !!!

But the beer is really good in the end !!!

I'm just hoping my fridge will rid itself of that and not continue to stink

Just curious, why 34/70 for a Kolsch and not a Kolsch yeast? Kolsch yeasts usually don't give off sulfur and will add that hint of fruitiness common in the style?

Dont know ask Jim Palmer..one of his kits. But I think I have read that 30/70 gives fruity as well

Haha I wasn't gonna question him. I'm so new at brewing just doing some extract kits right now. But soon will move to all grain and order ingedients separately etc.

So day 4 and the beer is definitely producing less stink now. I can open up the fridge (in our living room) and not piss the wife off too bad now haha

Back