Where would you start with this water profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbaddad

Reaction score
So I have downloaded the Bru'n Water Spreadsheet and tried my hand at adjusting things for the first time. It was a splendid failure. My sweet wort was tart/sour as I note in another thread.
So, if you had my water, what would you start with?

Ward Labs Water Report

pH 8.1
Total Disolved Solids 472
Electrical conductivity mmho/cm 0.79
Cations / Anions, me/L 8.3/8.5

Sodium, Na 79 ppm
Potassium, K 4 ppm
Calcium, Ca 59 ppm
Magnesium, Mg 22 ppm
Total hardness, CaCO3 239 ppm
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.5 (safe)
Sulfate, SO4-S 59 ppm
Chloride, Cl 85 ppm
Carbonate, CO3 6 ppm
Bicarbonate, HCO3 129 ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 116 ppm
Total Phosphorus, P 0.34 ppm
Total Iron, Fe <0.01

So, if you had my water, what would you start with?

RO water and the Primer. It's not the only approach by any means but it will get you a decent beer while you learn about other methods.

OTOH my water isn't as 'problematical' as yours and that's what I do (i.e. follow the Primer - works for the beers I like to brew.)

Ok. Thanks.

If you could, can you tell me what the most problematic part of my water profile is?

Thanks again for all the help.

I put 'problematical' in quotes because it isn't really that bad. The alkalinity will be a problem with many beers but that can be dealt with by use of acid (or dilution with RO). The sulfate level (177 mg/L) will be too high for some beers (and too low for others). Dilution is really the only practical means of dealing with it.

Ok. I appreciate that explanation. That helps quite a bit.
Thanks again for taking the time.

Back