carb by krausening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to do carb using fermenting wort.
How should I get the yeast to begin the krausening? Should I save some from my vial (using wpl300 hef yeast), save some of my starter in the fridge? I want to ferment in my 6 gal carboy, so I'm not sure if I can scoop some yeast off the top like with a fermenting bucket.
Or should I use a little bit of dry wheat yeast?

Oh thanks! I read the original thread from kaiser, but I didn't know there was a wiki page.

Oh thanks! I read the original thread from kaiser, but I didn't know there was a wiki page.

I don't know if it's because I'm also German (and a scientist) but whatever Kai writes up is solid! I wish I had read some of his stuff before I started so I would have had a solid basis. But it's never too late to visit his pages and learn more! :mug:

I know where to go first, now haha.
I'm looking to try my hand at an "authentic" Bavarian Hefeweizen, complying to the purity laws. Also I read carbonation happens a little quicker this way. I want it ready around the 4th of July.

Yeah, A German beer for the most American of holidays lol.

Today many Bavarian beers are again brewed using wheat and are thus no longer compliant with the Reinheitsgebot.

From wiki

I thought the Mit Hefe on a bottle of Wurzburger, Kitzinger. etc was with wheat. It had the reinheitesgebot (SP) on the lable too. I thought it had to be only the 4 ingredients and certain sanitary and yeast standards. A little help please?

Wheelchair Bob

I thought the Mit Hefe on a bottle of Wurzburger, Kitzinger. etc was with wheat. It had the reinheitesgebot (SP) on the lable too. I thought it had to be only the 4 ingredients and certain sanitary and yeast standards. A little help please?

Wheelchair Bob

I'm not sure Reinheitsgebot has any current legal or otherwise weight in Germany. Much more weight in the US as a marketing term.

Wheat was originally prohibited as was rye. A few years later the royal Bavarian family allowed one brewery to produce wiessibers (sp?)
Wasn't until the 80s the law was fully repealed, but the law was relaxed in the 1800s.
I was just referring to the fact that I'm not using sugar to carbonate.

Back