orange/rosemary hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
So my buddy the other night comes out with this strange idea to do a rosemary/orange hefeweizen 5 gallon batch.

Sounds really good but I have no idea how much of each to put either in the boil or the fermenter? Also what would this taste like?

I did a sprig of rosemary in my no-chill cube for a saison, and you could definitely tell it was there. Assuming you're chilling your wort in a traditional manner, probably between 5-0 min of the boil would be about right. Since you're wanting to do orange peel, maybe go with half a sprig, leaves bruised, 5 min, and maybe a teaspoon orange peel (sweet?) at about 10-5 min remaining.

The rosemary played very nicely with the spicy saison flavors. Orange goes great in witbier. Maybe use an American wheat strain or Belgian wit strain instead of a German hefe - the rosemary and orange might clash with the clove/banana of a traditional hefeweizen.

Thanks for the reply.
As for the orange favors I hope to do .5 onces of dry bitter orange peel, and the zest of 3 oranges at flameout.
Then I plan to put the meat(frozen) from the oranges into the primary after fermentation has settled.

We are using an american wheat yeast, so I think that will pay with the rosemary very nicely.Just a matter of getting the flavors balanced out.

Very interested. I have a massive rosemary bush by mid/lat summer, so I'm always looking for something to do with it.

UPDATE:
Brewed yesterday and so far the rosemary and orange favors are paying very well with each other. When fermentation settles I'am going to add the meat from the oranges for a week,

UPDATE:
Brewed yesterday and so far the rosemary and orange favors are paying very well with each other. When fermentation settles I'am going to add the meat from the oranges for a week,

I'm very curious how your beer turned out. Was there enough rosemary / orange, and how did it blend with the American Wheat yeast?

Back