SouthernTier Pumking on Nitro this year....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordiesel69

Reaction score
Was thinking of trying Pumking on Nitro this year. Any thoughts? Has anyone tried it?

What would I need to convert from CO2 to Nitro? I have a gas place near by, but don;t know what else is needed.

Are you just going to pick up a keg and throw it on tap at your house?

If you have a gas place, you might be able to get a CO2 tank filled with beer gas (blend of Nitrogen and CO2) and just hook it up as normal. But if just buying a keg, I would suggest letting it warm and bleeding off the CO2 until it is almost flat. Then serving it at high pressure under beer gas.

I have not tried it, but don't see how it could be bad. Good creamy beer with a big body. Sounds like a candidate to me.

Have you ever thought to clone this beer? I did last year an I have to admit, it was very close. I will be doing it again this year for sure.

However I did not have it on nitro but that's a good idea... I might have to try this

Yep, I usually get a keg around august.

If you want to serve the commercial keg on nitro, you want to make sure you bring down the carb level first. I'd attach your coupler but keep the gas turned off and vent the keg a few times a day for a few days. Get it down to like 1.2-1.5 volumes before you run it through the restrictor faucet or you'll have foam city.

You need a stout faucet (w/ restrictor plate), a beergas tank, and a regulator for the beergas tank.

sounds delicious...what's the harm in trying? you can always switch back to co2 if you don't like it.

I decide to bump this old thread back up to see if anyone has tried it yet on nitro. I had some difficulty doing my nitro retrofit and was talked out of it by a local brewer.

It seems the pumking is getting a bit overly sweet this year (2016 batch) and the 2015 batch had a bit of a bitter finish. I only know this as I always save a few bottles of the prior year batch to compare.

Back