fermentation concerns wyeast 3711

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankyMcnugg

Reaction score
I pitched wyeast 3711 in to a nb saison kit yesterday at 5pm central by 11pm it was blowing water out of airlock so i cracked lid i checked it 3 hours ago and krausen had fallen so i sealed back up. But its still blowing water out of airlock. I am worried about cracking lid since no krausen to protect beer. But since it is in bucket can not use blowoff tube any suggestions would be great:confused:

If it is fermenting that actively you do not need to worry about oxygen seeping in where you crack the lid. You should be able to leave the lid cracked for the next few days with no ill effects. Remember that during active fermentation the yeast are producing a ton of CO2 that is blanketing the top of the half wort half beer.

If it is fermenting that actively you do not need to worry about oxygen seeping in where you crack the lid. You should be able to leave the lid cracked for the next few days with no ill effects. Remember that during active fermentation the yeast are producing a ton of CO2 that is blanketing the top of the half wort half beer.

Thanks for the help:mug:

You can use a blowoff tube with a bucket. I do it all the time. Just stuff the tube right in the hole in the lid (or use an appropriately sized drilled stopper if your tube isn't the right size.)

Not sure if it applies to 3711 but 3724 is pressure sensitive and has a hard time fermenting with an airlock
Your on the right track with cracking the lid, but take the whole lid off an just "sit" it on top.

Also if you havent taken any gravity readings your just freaking out for no reason.
Dont go on krausen size or formation to tell how well fermentation is going.
After you poped the top you might have relived pressure inside wich caused the krausen to drop.
Every strain is different and behaves differently aswell.

Back