I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta say glad I found this thread for when I'm working nights

It's a good place to be, even if you're on day-shift. Always welcomed here.

Earlier, Passedpawn, our beloved mod (and I mean that sincerely) posted a song from the group "Boston". I'd like to post another from that wonderful band called "Amanda". Weylon Jenniings also sang a song called Amanda.

I'm going to post both.. Each song named the same. Both songs beautiful.

Its ok

daily_afternoon_randomness_in_hq_45_photos1.jpg

I couldn't do that to my kid, giving them a name with a song written for it. My MIL is named Sherri and she loathes it haha.

Know what? A name doesn't make a person who they are. That's a bit naive I suppose. There are always those strong names that are usually one syllable. But it isn't the name that makes the person.. It is the person that makes a name.

Or something like that.

Oh she likes her name just hates the damn songs that come on with it in it. Doesnt help that sherri baby might be one of the single most annoying songs.

Got a little POTUS jammin at work trying to make the night go by faster.

passedpawn said:
My (current) signature is a stanza from that song. I listen to another band's version of it though. I like.

The Metallica version perchance? I think they did a rather good job with the cover.

No one failed me, Dan. I am doing fine. In fact, not sure why I hadn't thought of this sooner.

An acquaintance is a dairy welder and recently began home brewing. He said he's always wanted to build breweries. This is his first attempt at a commercial brewery. It's for sale at the Visalia beer fest today. He will be building a custom rig for me when I can save enough money to open my brewery in town.

image-2534889991.jpg

An acquaintance is a dairy welder and recently began home brewing. He said he's always wanted to build breweries. This is his first attempt at a commercial brewery. It's for sale at the Visalia beer fest today. He will be building a custom rig for me when I can save enough money to open my brewery in town.

View attachment 121415

Looks a little small for a pro-rig, but that is one slick homebrew setup!

Howdy friends!

I'm brewing today! :ban::ban:

It's a new pale ale I designed called Cactus Nectar.
Agave Nectar goes in the boil. Dulce de Nopales (candied prickly pear cactus) tea in the fermenter. No dry hop, but it is getting a 30 minute flame out hop stand with Amarillo and Simcoe.

It's a beautiful semi-overcast day here. Great day for brewing!

Cheers!

Howdy friends!

I'm brewing today! :ban::ban:

It's a new pale ale I designed called Cactus Nectar.
Agave Nectar goes in the boil. Dulce de Nopales (candied prickly pear cactus) tea in the fermenter. No dry hop, but it is getting a 30 minute flame out hop stand with Amarillo and Simcoe.

It's a beautiful semi-overcast day here. Great day for brewing!

Cheers!

I want a bottle when it's done. :D I'm slightly obsessed with prickly pear beers after trying Freetail Roja.

Brewing here to, slowly but surely. Making a farmhouse dubbel.

I'm trying to decide if I want to suffer through one more big batch or shut down for the summer and switch back to 5'ers. Water temp is still within range for chilling, but with amient temps up, it's gonna make for a hot freakin brewday. I use passive ventillation, so when it's warm outside my basement turns into a dutch oven. I've got six full kegs, I might just call it quits. I've got a few new recipes I've been wanting to try out anyway.

Ah the joys of brewing in the heat. I am lucky that my well water stays pretty constant year round so other than lugging pots of wort around my brewing is not hurt so much.

Man I have been busy so far. Some point today I need to change the oil in my pickup and put a new radiator in my buddies pick up. Go through the 4 wheelers and get them ready and if I have time go through the bikes tuning them up.

I think I work twice as hard as most folks do to relax and go camping. Oh well the first camp is always like this:mug:

Not even sure if this still qualifies as Huli Huli chicken but that's what it's called around my house. This is delicious and simple.

Chicken drumsticks and thighs. Skin on of course.
Shoyu (soy sauce)
Lemon juice
Sambal Oelek for some spicy kick if you want (ground fresh chili paste)
Water

Cut the shoyu with an equal amount of water
How much lemon? I use the juice of two lemons for two cups of the soy/water mix or somewhere around there. I'm not into measuring. (the lemon juice in the little yellow lemon shaped bottles works fine as well)

If you want a heated kick I highly recommend the Sambal Oelek. It's nothing like the popular Mexican hot sauces. Pretty potent though. I usually add a couple tablespoons to the above. It's up to you how much to use. The nose is a good judge.

Chicken does not have to be marinated long but I've left this in the fridge marinating overnight and it's fine. I'd say an hour minimum though.

Grill the chicken slowly over a medium-low covered grill. It will come out golden brown with a crunchy skin and succulent, juicy inside. In the true form, I belive Huli Huli means "turned often" and basted regularly with the marinade. I could be wrong about both. :eek: I just grill it skin side up until the skin has shrunken, wrapped itself tightly around the meat and then turn it over for the last 10-20 minutes.

Sambal is a spicy, chili based sauce or relish that is popular in many countries across Southeast Asia, especially Indonesia and Malaysia. The sauce consists of ground or pureed chilies and may include small amounts of other ingredients such as citrus juice, shallots, fruit, salt, sugar, or other spices.
sambal.jpg

While we're on the subject of recipes, you've got to try this new recipe for lava cakes. Sooooo delicious.

4.5 oz (by weight) bittersweet chocolate (I use giradelli chocolate chips)
2.5 oz (by weight) semi-sweet choolate (I use nestle toll house morsels)
1.25 sticks butter
1.5 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
4 eggs and 2 egg yolks only

Melt butter and chocolate in microwave on low stirring often. Mix in sugar. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the flour last and beat until smooth. Bake in custard cups (grease the cups, I use cooking spray) at 425F for 14 minutes. Makes 6 cakes. Don't over fill the cups.

Be warned......these are addicting!!

Hmmm... I need to go grocery shopping. Brought my drawing pens and paper with me on my little vacation and got a couple new patterns done today. Not sure where all the kids went today, I slept late and everyone was gone when I woke up. And for some reason they have no grill on the patio. I guess I can tote a small grill onto the bus. I didn't bring a vehicle because of parking issues, plus you don't need a vehicle around here. Maybe I'll get my son to show me how to drive his motorcycle. My best friend Laura brought me here in her SUV. She said in a week or so she can bring me another load of stuff. Like some of my potted plants and herbs to also put on the patio.

I'm thinking in about a month or so, I'll head back towards home, stay with some nearby family members so I can still help out on the farm. There are 3 homes on our property so I can go back but not move back in with hubby. Also a sort of close neighbor that said I could stay there if I wanted. Use my 4-wheeler to get to work during the day. Maybe help care for hubby, by then my nephew will probably need a break from it. Like stop in for an hour a day or something. I just can't live with him or be around him all the time.

I feel a little bad about abandoning the family, and leaving all the stresses behind for them to deal with for a while. Heck, maybe once they are around him more they will see he needs to be in hospice with 24 hour nursing care. Then I could go home, take care of things and just go visit him. Feeling very confident everything will work out. Treat this like a long vacation. Give hubby time to think about things. Perhaps come to his senses.

I'm slowly (like everything else today) getting together bahn mi tofu tacos and some kale with mirin and garlic for dinner later.

Also working on the menu for my third anniversary in a few weeks. My wife enjoys beer also so I'm planning a beer dinner. Probably end up doing at least 7 courses, maybe more depending on what beers I end up with before then.

snaps10 said:

Gorgeous. See, that's what I'm talking about right there. If I upgrade from my single vessel and cooler MT setup it will be for something like that. I love the aesthetics of brewery like that, and well I know function is more important than form some of these really hokey breweries people throw together with wood and jury rigged crap welded together and painted with rattle cans does nothing for me. That and a range hood with exhaust is going to be my 40th birthday present. I don't celebrate birthdays, but that time I will. And it will probably take the 7 years to get the doubloons for it.

...I feel a little bad about abandoning the family, and leaving all the stresses behind for them to deal with for a while. Heck, maybe once they are around him more they will see he needs to be in hospice with 24 hour nursing care. Then I could go home, take care of things and just go visit him. Feeling very confident everything will work out. Treat this like a long vacation. Give hubby time to think about things. Perhaps come to his senses.

You made the right choice BobbiLynn. YOU needed a break if anybody ever did. You're right about letting the family step in, find out the tremendous stress this situation causes.. Sounds like plenty family around and if everybody helps a little that's a lot. Enjoy your vacation because you deserve it. As always, hoping for the best for you and your hubby.

For anyone that wrote down the lava cake recipe, there was a typo. It only calls for 1.5 cups powdered sugar. 2.5 would be way too much. Sorry bout that.

BBL, your dessert recipe sounds, sounds scrumptious. I'm not good at backing sweets but my wife is. I'll forward that recipe on to her. I know she'll do it justice. :mug:

BBL, your dessert recipe sounds, sounds scrumptious. I'm not good at backing sweets but my wife is. I'll forward that recipe on to her. I know she'll do it justice. :mug:

That's the nice thing about this recipe....you can be totally kitchen retarded and these will come out great, I assure you.

Man, I really want to cook!!! But realized I don't even have a key yet and not sure where everyone is or when they will be home. My son said it'll be late before he gets in. Guess I'll order take-out. :( All this talk of food is making me hungry. Told my son to get me a key made before he comes home.

I went back to see what I wrote while in panic mode and re-read the responses. Thanks everyone. I did call hubby's doctors and they said call 911. Wasn't willing to do that. Like v-man said, you'd have to be in the situation to understand. Called my best friend instead, then my son. Then my nephew to say I was taking a little trip and he needed to take care of hubby for a while. Left him detailed instructions. Didn't tell hubby I was leaving him or anything like that, just that I needed to get out of town for a little while. I left my dog behind and that's the only thing really stressing me right now. But nephew says he will make sure both the dog and chickens have food and water. Oh, and hubby too, get his meals ready for him, make sure he eats.

And the Willkillya county license plate is spot on. Telling people I'm from Wakulla county, it's like they have new found respect for you. Assume you own multiple guns and know how to use them. Can't live there without being a little rough around the edges.

All this talk of food haha. My wife and I recently started eating a paleo diet and i must say i feel 10x better then I did before we started.

All this talk of food haha. My wife and I recently started eating a paleo diet and i must say i feel 10x better then I did before we started.

Gald to see someone else is doing this! I have been on low carb variations for a couple years. It started when I was cycling professionally (track sprinter on the Velodrome). My carb needs were not significantly high on sprinting and weight training days. They were high when I did the odd endurance ride. The key was carb TIMING. Lets say I did an easy 3hr ride, I know I have to bring carbs to keep from bonking too hard, however I would bring just enough that its pretty much used up by the end of the ride... voila, sill near ketosis. I would also time small amounts of carbs before/during/immediately after sprint/weight sessions for performance reasons. Not only was I lean, but my anxiety and blood pressure improved dramatically. High fat, moderate protein for the win. Now i'm just a lazy student (had to stop cycling, medical issues), so I drink more beer but still stick to low/trace carbs the the rest of the day. Huge carb cheat meal once a week too.

I'm never really "hungry" and don't crave sweets (no insulin spikes during the day)... mmm fat. Also, 98% of the population doesn't understand that all these cardiovascular and heart problems are caused by inflammation of the arteries etc, which is caused by wheat (+other grains) and sugar. Also, exogenous cholesterol also has basically zero impact on endogenous cholesterol unless one has a problem. My suggestion: Don't believe your government food regulations... do your own research via published professional journals.

Gald to see someone else is doing this! I have been on low carb variations for a couple years. It started when I was cycling professionally (track sprinter on the Velodrome). My carb needs were not significantly high on sprinting and weight training days. They were high when I did the odd endurance ride. The key was carb TIMING. Lets say I did an easy 3hr ride, I know I have to bring carbs to keep from bonking too hard, however I would bring just enough that its pretty much used up by the end of the ride... voila, sill near ketosis. I would also time small amounts of carbs before/during/immediately after sprint/weight sessions for performance reasons. Not only was I lean, but my anxiety and blood pressure improved dramatically. High fat, moderate protein for the win. Now i'm just a lazy student (had to stop cycling, medical issues), so I drink more beer but still stick to low/trace carbs the the rest of the day. Huge carb cheat meal once a week too.

I'm never really "hungry" and don't crave sweets (no insulin spikes during the day)... mmm fat. Also, 98% of the population doesn't understand that all these cardiovascular and heart problems are caused by inflammation of the arteries etc, which is caused by wheat (+other grains) and sugar. Also, exogenous cholesterol also has basically zero impact on endogenous cholesterol unless one has a problem. My suggestion: Don't believe your government food regulations... do your own research via published professional journals.

I do like the benefits I'm seeing. I as sceptical becuase of all the atkins crap I used to see with no carbs. But we are finding its not something so strict as that. Plus almond flour and coconut flour bread have been amazing substitutes.

All this food sounds awesome! I'm going to have to try those recipes. Thanks for sharing guys!

Had to break out the fish bowl tulip and some XXIV I've been sitting on to celebrate a great brew day!

IMG-20130511-00831.jpg

I used to eat more like that. Hunt for it, fish for it, grow it or go pick it. I guess it was low carb but didn't really think about that at the time. Lately, haven't been eating much at all. Had a half of a chicken strip today. No wonder I feel so tired and sluggish. I'll have to find a good farmer's market around here, somewhere to get good fresh food. The pizza and chicken strip thing isn't going to work for me. Probably been a good 3 or 4 days since I actually sat down and ate a meal. Food, I need food. And these boys here, including my son are also very skinny. If I had a key to get back in, I'd be out shopping. Tomorrow I will try to figure out my way around better. Find the local farmer's market, they should be open on a Sunday.

If you want a heated kick I highly recommend the Sambal Oelek. It's nothing like the popular Mexican hot sauces. Pretty potent though. I usually add a couple tablespoons to the above. It's up to you how much to use. The nose is a good judge.

sambal.jpg

Fantastic stuff.

Latest posts

Back