Help with monitoring temperature first...then maybe automation second

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
I would like to be able to monitor the temperatures in my HERMS setup. Right now I watch temperatures with a handheld thermometer and manually turn the heat on and off. I'm fine with that. Eventually I might automate, but that is eventually.

What I would like to do NOW though, is monitor temperatures in 2-3 places with thermocouple probes or RTD probes. I would monitor:

1. Wort temp out the MLT before it goes through the HERMS coil
2. Wort temp out the HERMS coil as it re-enters the MLT
3. HLT water

So, is there an easy option for putting together a panel that is basically three thermometers that don't control anything (yet)?

I was looking at three of these:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=14

The description says they can be used "simply as a thermometer/pyrometer." That would be great. I would be able to set an alarm so that if the temp rises too high, I could click the heat off. If it drops too low, an alarm would alert me to turn the heat on.

To go with the above, I'd use three of these:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=46

My setup already has compression fittings to mount the temperature probes into. If these would work, my only other concern is that these would also work if I EVENTUALLY want to automate my propane burners using a solenoid valve and pilot light.

Would this work? I'm not an electrician and so need something that's pretty simple to wire up. If this isn't going to work, help me understand why not. Thanks.

The PID you post should work, but I'd prefer one with a two-line display--one line for the set value (for when you do start using it to control your temperatures), and the second line for the current value. The 2362 seems popular (I have one, but haven't brewed with it yet).

I'd prefer one with a two-line display--one line for the set value (for when you do start using it to control your temperatures), and the second line for the current value.

Good point. There is a reason that particular PID is so popular.

I'm wondering about my choice of temperature probes. I want something that is really accurate. The RTD type of probes from what I've read are better than the thermocouple type. They are more stable over time and less likely to drift. Any recommendations as to the particular probes?

Also, will I need an SSR with these if I'm only monitoring temperatures and not doing automation yet?

If you're only monitoring temps, you wouldn't need SSRs yet. Once you want to control a load (i.e., a heat source), you'll need them.

Cool. That's good to know. I'm learning more about this stuff every day. Thanks.

I was looking online at different PIDs and came across Omega brand PIDs and thermometer probes. They were quite a bit more expensive even for the more basic models. What's the main differences?

say between this:
www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=106

And this:
www.omega.com/prodinfo/temperaturecontrollers.html

See the very first model for $69.

Is Omega a better PID? Their probes are more expensive too. I know I've got lots of questions but I don't want to invest in something only to find out later that if I had spent a bit more money I could have had something really great. Thanks.

Back