48 qt mash tun, 10 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoheroe

Reaction score
I want to start doing 10 gallon batches, my kettle is 15 gallons, but I've always been concerned my mash run is too small. I'm not looking to do 10gallons of anything imperial or a barley wine, just standard porters/browns/ipa etc. anyone use a 48qt cooler for a 10 gallon brew day? Or am I stuck doing 2 mashes if I want to do 10 gallons of wort?

Sure you can do it. I use a 5-gallon cooler as a mash tun for 5-gallon batches. If you do a single infusion with 1.25 quarts per pound of grain, you could probably squeeze 25 pounds of grain in there. The specific gravity of your beer will depend on your mash efficiency, but that should give you an idea.

For anything bigger, you can supplement with malt extract in your boil to get there. For me, that isn't often, but I have done it.

Good luck.

You can but that's why I bought a 70qt cooler, if you did a imperial stout not sure if all the grains would fit.

Back