Side by side fridge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-crowing

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a side by side fridge with one side for cooling bottles/kegs and the other as a fermentation chamber? I'm thinking about doing this in the near future. If the fridge has a temp setting for both the fridge and freezer, it should be possible to use 2 temperature controllers and control each side right?

Sorry. It would be nice if you could do that, but you cannot.

A fridge w/ freezer (side by side or top/bottom) has one compressor and one thermostat. The temp control for the fridge side is actually an air balance setting that lets a certain amount of cold air from the freezer circulate into the fridge.

yes, you can do it. It works. I never made a build thread but here is a PM I sent to another poster who inquired about it.

yes, I did. And I owe everyone an update, just haven't got around to it. Basically I left the existing fridge wiring intact. I wired in two STC controllers - one set to 35 F controlling the fridge power cord, and one controlling two 3" computer fans cut into the dividing wall. So the first STC controls the compressor for the kegs, and the second STC controls the PC fans which push the cold air into the fermentor side as needed. Let me know if you need more details.

Back