wort thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberrouard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and wanted to show you guys a pic of a little project i just finished. I was going to buy the Blichmann Thrumometer but decided to make something similar myself.

I used thin wall 1/2" copper pipe, two 1/2" copper to MPT fittings, two brass FPT to 1/2" hose barb, and a stick on thermometer.

I cut the thermometer below 61 degress to make it as short as possible, i know i will never be chilling below that, i can barely get 70.

I have not yet used it so unfortunately i dont even know if it will work like i would like it to but i will give some feedback when i brew next week. One reason for not buying the Thrumometer was becuase i believe it is made for 3/8" hose and i like to use 1/2" hose when pumping off the kettle through the chiller.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i...74213FC-3446-00000374AF3E917B_zpsde3af4a5.jpg

Looks pretty nice. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the thermometer adhesive pulling off once it gets hot, given the tight curve of the pipe. If that turns out to be an issue, I suppose you could wrap the whole thing in some kind of clear tape, or even shrink-wrap.

I was never fond of the thrumometer simply based on how narrow of a temp reading you get. This is my solution:

inlinetemp.png

Fast readings from freezing to boiling temps, put it inline with any flow, remove the thermometer for other purposes if you want.

also fairly new to the forum and like the idea of a digital thermometer for my welded bulkhead 1.5" off bottom of my Spike Brewing kettle.
Bobby M, is your set up possible for BIAB temp readings? Can the digital face be angled? Would the probe give higher readings that close to the bottom with a basket, bag, and grains above it?
My pardon to the OP, but that is such a cool set up

Sorry, I didn't mean to thread-jack you. Your DIY version of the thrumometer is fine solution.

The key to the inline digital is the compression fitting which is packed with silicone orings. On my site, it's called NPT to Thermometer Probe. If you want to read the temp remotely, you can insert the probe from the DTTC which is a kitchen/oven style digital thermometer.

Back