Brewing Network recipe help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I am planning on doing a second take of a Moose Drool clone tomorrow. The first one I did was an extract from Northern, and my first Home Brew in 20 years. It turned out pretty terrible! This is going to be a revenge batch, in all grain, and based off the Jamil Show, "can you brew it".

I am using beersmith to enter the recipe in exactly as they gave out on the show (which they determined cloned), but I am coming up off on my end numbers a bit. Specifically, I am ending high on my FG and low on my ABV.

Recipe as given is as follows:

6 gal batch
10.8 lbs 2 row
5.5 oz choc malt
1.25 lbs crystal 75/80
1/2 oz black patent
40 grams East Kent Goldings 60 min. 4.75aa
17 grams willamette 10 min
17 grams liberty 0 min
WL002 English Ale yeast (made a 1 liter starter with freshly harvested yeast)
154 mash
IBU's around 30
OG 1.052

I should be hitting 5.2 ABV and a FG of 1.012, but beersmith is putting me at 4.6 ABV with a FG of 1.017.

Not sure what I should do here, if anything....

Options I have thought about would be:

Up my grain bill to a higher OG?
Lower my Mash?

If I use a different yeast (WL001) I could get higher attenuation and hit my numbers perfectly.... but, I don't want to sacrifice the flavor of the beer I am trying to hit.

If I remove my yeast from the recipe, my recipe estimates are nearly perfect: Hitting 5.2 ABV with a FG of 1.013.

What do you guys think I should do here? I want to nail this brew!

If you're going all grain... and your efficiency is a little lower than expected, you can add another pound of 2 row to make up for it. You'll get a little more snot out of the wort and could get the OG to hit more where you want it.

Edit: you'll have to adjust your mash water volume as well.

Gary

GASoline71 said:
If you're going all grain... and your efficiency is a little lower than expected, you can add another pound of 2 row to make up for it. You'll get a little more snot out of the wort and could get the OG to hit more where you want it.

Edit: you'll have to adjust your mash water volume as well.

Gary

Thanks for the feedback. Well, I'm really not trying to raise my OG, I'm just trying to figure how I can get the yeast to attenuate to the FG I'm trying to hit. I'm afraid if I raise the OG, my FG will be even higher, resulting in too sweet of a beer. I thought about mashing lower, but won't that dry the beer out too much? I'd have to go to like 148, down from 154, to hit my FG. Only other option I can think of is to use a different yeast, but I'm afraid that will alter the character of this beer too much. Arghh!

Thanks for the feedback. Well, I'm really not trying to raise my OG, I'm just trying to figure how I can get the yeast to attenuate to the FG I'm trying to hit. I'm afraid if I raise the OG, my FG will be even higher, resulting in too sweet of a beer. I thought about mashing lower, but won't that dry the beer out too much? I'd have to go to like 148, down from 154, to hit my FG. Only other option I can think of is to use a different yeast, but I'm afraid that will alter the character of this beer too much. Arghh!

Beersmith is useless at predicting FG, so just ignore that.

If I mashed that grainbill in my system at 152, I'd end up with 1.010-1.012 or so.

Yooper said:
Beersmith is useless at predicting FG, so just ignore that.

If I mashed that grainbill in my system at 152, I'd end up with 1.010-1.012 or so.

Good to know, thanks Yooper. Well, I'll stick to the original design and see how I do. This will actually be a 9 gallon brew, first time on my brand new top tier system. Looking forward to this one

Back